Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2018
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2018
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
Most read reports
- Malaria control campaign launched in Democratic Republic of the Congo to save lives and aid Ebola response
- Democratic Republic of Congo: Ebola Virus Disease - External Situation Report 18
- GIEWS Country Brief: Democratic Republic of the Congo 12-November-2018
- République Démocratique du Congo: Province du Kwilu, Carte Générale de Planification Logistique - 05 Décembre 2018
- Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC): Ebola virus disease outbreak - Emergency Plan of Action Operations Update n°3 (MDRCD026)
Message from our Regional Director
Despite numerous humanitarian challenges in 2017 in Africa, there were also a number of heart-warming accomplishments. A case in point, was when a local response of Red Crescent teams—and other partners—curbed Somalia's cholera outbreak through the power of local volunteers and shared international expertise. In terms of support to our members, 36 National Societies were able to kick start initiatives that built their capacity through seed grants.
The 2014 Annual report of the ICRC is an account of field activities conducted worldwide. Activities are part of the organization's mandate to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war, and to promote respect for international humanitarian law.
Facts and figures
26.2 million people had access to water and sanitation improved.
Read more on water and shelter.
9.12 million people were provided with basic aid such as food.
Read more on aid distribution.
Magazine publié par la délégation régionale du CICR à Dakar.
This report covers the period: 1 January 2013 to 31 December 2013
Annual Report for 2013: A strong response to complex crises
14-05-2014 News Release 14/81
31-01-2013 Bulletin du terrain N° 5
Au Mali, en Libye, en République Démocratique du Congo, en Somalie, en Côte d’Ivoire, en Ouganda ou encore au Sénégal, des communautés entières ont été déplacées, parfois depuis plusieurs années. Au travers de récits poignants, le MAG 5 met en exergue l’immense courage de ces populations, et leur lutte quotidienne pour préserver leur dignité et leur intégrité.
- Cruz Roja Española, a través de su Fondo de Emergencias, contribuye a apoyar a los países afectados por el reciente huracán Sandy o el terremoto de Guatemala para ofrecer asistencia de primera necesidad como abrigo, cobijo o suministro de agua segura.
El impacto del huracán Sandy en Centroamérica y Caribe y del terremoto de Guatemala ha llevado a Cruz Roja Española a reforzar su intervención humanitaria en estos países, en estrecha colaboración con la Cruz Roja local.
MAA00010 August 2012
Period covered: January to June 2012
Overview Seventy three allocations were made by the DREF during the first six months of 2012 for a total of CHF 11,778,445. Eighty per cent of the allocations were made as grants to support response to small or medium-scale disasters, referred to as DREF operations. Twelve emergency appeals received start-up funding loans. The allocations supported response to 69 different operations by 54 National Societies.
This report covers the period 01/01/2010 to 30/06/2010.
Programme outcome: The programmes will contribute to the achievement of the strategic aims of the Strategy 2020, whilst guided by the Johannesburg Commitments the local priorities. As outlined in the 2010-2011 plans, the Disaster Management (DM) programme seeks to provide all possible and relevant support to the 24 National Societies (NS) of the West and Central Africa Sub-Zone.
This report covers the period 17/January/2009 to 31/December/2009.
Programme purpose: The 2009-2010 West and Central Africa Zone's (WCAZ) Plan aims at providing support to National Societies to properly address the needs of vulnerable people. The 2009 plan of action focuses on the implementation of the safety and resilient community framework. Integrated approach targeting community at risk has been developed with NS and PNS that covers DRR, Health and OD issues at branch level with strong community participation. Some of the projects will continue in 2010.
This report covers the period 1 January to 31 December 2009.
Programme purpose: The overarching aim for this security programme is to create an effective security culture within the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) that will enable Red Cross Red Crescent personnel to operate safely and securely.
Programme summary: The primary role of the unit has been to provide advice on security to the IFRC's senior management, and to ensure that security management is adequate and functioning at all times.
(Fuentes: FAO, Federación Internacional de Sociedades de la Cruz Roja y de la Media Luna Roja, Cruz Roja Española).
- A comienzos de 2008, los precios mundiales de los alimentos y del petróleo se dispararon. Entre las posibles causas de esta subida vertiginosa se encontraban los efectos del cambio climático, la crisis financiera, continuadas malas cosechas en países exportadores o la producción de biocombustibles.
Los efectos fueron inmediatos.
The Federation's West and Central Africa Sub-zone (WCAZ) priorities are guided by the following strategic initiatives intended to support the development and work of National Societies: the Global Agenda Goals and the Framework for Action, Strategy 2010, the African Red Cross and Red Crescent Health Initiative (ARCHI) 2010 and decisions coming out from Pan African Conferences such as the Algiers Plan of Action and the Johannesburg Commitment.
Working within these initiatives, the West and Central Africa sub-zone immediate focus is to support National Societies …
This report covers the period 01/01/09 to 30/06/09
Programme purpose: As outlined in the 2009-2010 plan, the West and Central Africa Zone's (WCAZ) immediate focus is to support National Societies in providing assistance to address the needs of vulnerable people. In disaster management WCAZ faces challenges due to new disaster patterns related to climate variability.
This report covers the period 01/01/2008 to 31/12/08.
Programme purpose: To establish appropriate mechanisms in the zone for effective technical coordination, planning, performance monitoring and evaluation as to assist national societies in developing and establishing sustainable community based health projects and develop improved preparedness and response in the health sector in line with the Global Agenda Goal 2, the Algiers Plan of Action and ARCHI 2010.
This report covers the period 01/01/08 to 30/06/08.
Programme purpose: Together with the International Federation of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Societies, and in line with the International Federation's Strategy 2010 and the Global Agenda goals, the West and Central African zone (WCAZ) is committed to:
- Establish appropriate mechanisms for effective technical coordination, planning, performance monitoring and evaluation as to assist its 24 National Societies in developing and establishing sustainable community-based health projects, and develop improved …
The Federation's West and Central Africa Zone (WCAZ) priorities are guided by the following strategic initiatives intended to support the development and work of National Societies: the Global Agenda Goals and the Framework for Action, Strategy 2010, the African Red Cross and Red Crescent Health Initiative (ARCHI) 2010 and the Algiers Plan of Action.
Working within these initiatives, the Zone's immediate focus is to support National Societies in providing assistance to address the needs of vulnerable people.
Period covered by this Ops Update: 11 July-14 August 2008;
Appeal target (current): CHF 750,000 (USD 731,134 or EUR 462,475);
Appeal coverage: donor support is currently being recorded, and will be made available in the next update
- This Emergency Appeal was initially launched on a preliminary basis on 11 July 2008 for CHF 750,000 for 2
months to assist 47,500 beneficiaries.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF): CHF 483,047 was allocated from the Federation's DREF to support the national society to respond.
A preliminary Emergency …
This preliminary Emergency Appeal seeks CHF 750,000 (USD 731,134 or EUR 462,475) in cash, kind, or services to support the National Societies of West and Central Africa to assist 47,500 beneficiaries.
CHF 483,047 has been allocated from the Federation's Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) to start the planned activities. Discussions are currently taking place to reallocate approximately CHF 550,000 remaining from the 2007 West Africa floods appeal to support this appeal.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is very concerned about data which suggests severe flooding may occur in West and Central Africa for the second year running.