Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2018
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2014
Most read (last 30 days)
- Kasai: A Children's Crisis: Coping with the impact of conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- WHO concerned as one Ebola case confirmed in urban area of Democratic Republic of the Congo
- New Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of the Congo
- UN Emergency Fund gives US$2 million to fight Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
- Thousands flee Central African violence into remote region of northern DRC
- The ministry sets up special health facility zones in communities near Lake Tanganyika.
- A team of experts has been dispatched to the six regions bordering DR Congo to help in surveillance and control.
- The deadly virus outbreak has so far killed 27 people in DRC.
By BEATRICE MATERU
Tanzania has intensified its surveillance at all points of entry following the Ebola outbreak that has so far killed 27 people in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo.
By MICHAEL CHAWE
Seven Congolese refugees in Zambia died following a boat accident as they sought to escape from a transit centre north of the country, police said.
Zambia police issued a statement saying: "Seven Democratic Republic of Congo nationals have drowned on Lake Mweru in Chiengi District of Luapula Province after their boat capsized due to heavy winds."
By JOSEPH ODUHA
South Sudan has restricted the movements of people and goods along its borders with the DR Congo over the Ebola spread fears.
Health minister Riek Gai Kok announced on Thursday that the risk of the Ebola spread to South Sudan was high due to the proximity between the two countries.
“While cases of Ebola Virus Disease have not yet been detected in South Sudan, the risk is high because of movement of people from DR Congo into South Sudan,” he said.
An isolation facility
By ELIZABETH MERAB
Kenya is on a high alert following an Ebola outbreak that has killed 17 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
In a statement on Wednesday, Health Cabinet Secretary Sicily Kariuki said the ministry will be conducting routine screening of all travellers at points of entry including at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), and Busia and Malaba along Kenya's border with Uganda.
“In these places, we have installed thermal guns to detect any person with elevated temperatures,” said Ms Kariuki.
By Evelyn Lirri
The security forces wanted to arrest some of their leaders accused of fuelling the on-going unrest.
The camp is yet to have new leadership after MIDIMAR on Monday disbanded the Congolese refugee leadership for the camp.
Tension simmered in late April when police intensified security at the camp and its environs.
By JOHNSON KANAMUGIRE
The Rwanda police have arrested 23 DR Congolese refugees following clashes with the security forces at Kiziba camp on Tuesday.
- The move comes amid last week’s reports of rising tensions that saw the government deploy security organs to the Kiziba camp
- The food protest in February had over 10 refugees shot dead and several others injured in a clash with the police
- More than 22 suspected ringleaders were currently facing justice
By JOHNSON KANAMUGIRE
Rwanda has disbanded the Congolese refugee leadership for Kiziba camp over accusations of fuelling unrest.
- Refugees accused of inciting others to reject biometric registration.
- The are reported to belong to a Catholic sect that resist any form of biometric listing and modern medicine.
- The refugees are accused of endangering the lives of others in the camps as well as those of the officials.
By EDMUND KAGIRE
Rwanda police have arrested 33 Burundian refugees accused of inciting others to reject biometric registration.
- This is not the first time the Congolese government is confronting the Mai Mai rebels.
By MOSES HAVYARIMANA
Burundi has in the past week received more than 8,000 refugees fleeing the fighting between Mai Mai rebels and government forces in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Burundian government officials said that refugees continue to arrive from DRC’s South Kivu to the southwestern port of Rumonge on Lake Tanganyika.
By JOHNSON KANAMUGIRE
African countries are divided on the fate of Rwandan refugees within their borders following the expiry of the deadline of the cessation clause that effectively ends their refugee status.
The cessation clause is part of the 1951 Refugee Convention, which allows countries to declare that the reasons that led to people fleeing the country no longer exist, and that all those who fled should be able to return or risk losing their refugee status.
- Parties cited the need for more time to promote voluntary repatriation, while a section of asylum countries grappled with logistical challenges to examine individual cases of refugees seeking exemption or integration.
- Deadline for cessation elapses on January 1, 2018.
By RODRIGUES RWIRAHIRA
Rwanda's government has adopted a policy that enables refugees to work for a living as donor funding to support those in refugee camps reduces.
According to officials from the Ministry of Disaster Management and Refugee Affairs (MIDIMAR), the policy seeks to, among other goals, address a 10 per cent reduction in resources for feeding camp-based refugees. The officials said the policy would also help ease pressure on Rwanda as a host country.
Political uncertainty has risen after the postponement of elections.
President Kabila had already exceeded the constitutional two-term limit, but a court ruled that he could stay in office until a new election.
Since August 2016, violence in the Kasai region has claimed the lives of nearly 5,000 people and displaced around 1.4 million.
By KILASA MTAMBALIKE
- Rwandan refugees have up to December 31 to either secure legal residency in host countries, return home or risk losing protection after the cessation date.
- This has seen the country receive over 11,000 returnees in the first eight months of this year compared with 5,580 in 2016.
- Invocation of the cessation clause means that the UNHCR will no longer be responsible for supporting Rwandan refugees.
More than 300 million people rely on the waters of the River Nile.
The Nile river basin contains over 10 per cent of Africa’s landmass, in 11 countries: Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Egypt, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea and Kenya. Many of these countries rely almost exclusively on the Nile as their source of freshwater.
Refugee Solidarity summit in Kampala brought in pledges of $358.6m (Ushs1.25 trillion), which although was praised by President Museveni and the UN Secretary General António Guterres as a good starting point, is still far less of the earlier intended goal by $1.6b (Ushs5 trillion).
The lukewarm response to Uganda’s solidarity with a refugee population of close to 1.3 million refugees out of which 950,000 are from South Sudan, is a reflection of the growing void in humanitarian aid funding for the South Sudan crisis.
By DANIEL S. NTWARI
Posted Saturday, February 13 2016 at 19:40
With six official camps, Rwanda is home to Congolese and Burundian refugees totalling over 147,000, currently under the UNHCR-Rwanda programme.
UNHCR Rwanda programme now says that the Burundians will have to wait a little longer to have their concerns resolved.
UNHCR recently signed agreements with 11 international local partners for $10.8 million for the first phase of the 2016 refugee response in Rwanda.
By DICTA ASIIMWE, TEA Special Correspondent
On November 11 alone, Uganda received some 881 Congolese refugees who are causing a strain on the already overstretched facilities, officials said.
Information from UNHCR shows that weekly arrivals from the DRC into Rwamwanja Refugee Settlement are above 600. Since the beginning of the year, over 25,781 have arrived from the North Kivu region alone.
The Food and Agriculture Organisation has launched a project to stem post-harvest losses in Africa.
Mireille Totobesola, FAO project manager, said the $2.7 million project will give small grants of about $1,000 to smallholder farmers in Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo and Burkina Faso to reduce food losses through the provision of modern storage facilities.
The funding will also support establishment of an online platform, where African governments can pick up some lessons and seek the help of experts who are available on a chatroom.