Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2018
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2018
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
Most read reports
- 155 children left orphaned or separated from their parents in DRC’s latest Ebola outbreak
- Plot, poison, or curse? Ebola rumours spread in Congo
- Democratic Republic of Congo: Ebola Virus Disease - External Situation Report 7
- Ebola strikes big city in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and WHO scales up response to new threat
- 155 enfants sont orphelins ou séparés de leurs parents suite à la dernière épidémie d’Ebola en RDC
Peace processes increasingly go beyond outlining cease-fires and dividing territory to incorporate elements that lay the foundations for peace and shape the structures of society. Yet by and large the participants who decide the former continue to decide the latter; the inclusion of others—those who did not take up arms, those who were working for peace, or significant portions of the population whose priorities for a peaceful society may differ— has not kept pace.
INSIDE THIS ISSUE
Insights from Administrator Rajiv Shah
Podcast: Ghana From The Tree Tops
New Generation Now 'Living with Confidence' in Cambodia's Endangered Forests
Sustaining the "Amazon of the Seas"
Jane Goodall's Win-Win
Save the Saiga Antelope
Eyes in the Sky Monitor Congo Basin Forests
Your Voice: Philippine Conservation Performance Earns a Second “Debt-for-Nature” Deal
Double Trouble: Tackling Urban Infrastructure and Climate Change in Mozambique
At the time of publication of this issue of the Health Emergency Highlights, Typhoon Haiyan has just struck the Philippines. Super Typhoon Haiyan made its first landfall in Eastern Samar province of the Philippines on 8 November, moving on to the province of Leyte, with maximum winds of 235 km per hour where it had devastating effects, and ultimately causing destruction in 36 provinces and affecting more than 11 million people.
A SNAPSHOT OF EVENTS IN THE ASIA-PACIFIC
Between May and September 2011, a number of disasters including floods and storms continued to devastate Asia and the Pacific region.
Floods occurred in China from June onwards, affecting over 36 million people and killing at least 355 people. Despite direct economic losses of nearly US$6.5 billion, no international assistance was requested.
Human Rights Council
Agenda item 3
Promotion and protection of all human rights, civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights, including the right to development
- Con excepción de Argelia, existían negociaciones formales o exploratorias en todos los conflictos africanos. A escala global, en el 73% de los conflictos armados existentes hay negociaciones abiertas.
- Una vez completado el despliegue de las misiones de mantenimiento de la paz en Côte d'Ivoire, Somalia, Sudán y RD Congo, en estos cuatro países habrá unos 54.000 cascos azules.
- Finalizaron sin éxito los intentos de negociación con la guerrilla ELN, en Colombia, y con el grupo maoísta CPI, en el estado de Andra Pradesh (India).