Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Headlines (most recent)
- WHO: WHO sets example in how to win community trust in controlling Ebola. 23 Jan 2020
- Govt. Canada: Canada announces $56 million to fight Ebola and other crises in DR Congo. 18 Jan 2020
- OHCHR: Inter-ethnic violence in Ituri, DRC, may constitute “crimes against humanity”. 10 Jan 2020
- WHO: How WHO delivers supplies to remote Ebola-hit regions of DRC. 9 Jan 2020
- WHO: Deaths from Democratic Republic of the Congo measles outbreak top 6,000. 7 Jan 2020
Most read reports
- WHO: Democratic Republic of Congo: Ebola Virus Disease - External Situation Report 77. 28 Jan 2020
- WHO: Winning community trust in Ebola control. 23 Jan 2020
- WHO: Ebola virus disease – Democratic Republic of the Congo: Disease outbreak news, 23 December 2020. 23 Jan 2020
- MSF: DRC Ebola outbreaks: Crisis update - 13 January 2020. 14 Jan 2020
- INTERSOS: Note d’information sur la situation des déplacés nouvellement arrivés sur les sites de Rho et Drodro,. 28 Jan 2020
Red Cross Action
The International Red Cross continues to provide assistance to the Rwandan and Burundian refugees and displaced
Zairians in the Goma area. Both the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (Federation )
and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) are focusing their effort on the Goma area, having been forced,
on Saturday October 28, to evacuate their remaining delegates out of Bukavu, amidst the chaos and terror currently
TITLE=U-N / ZAIRE (S)
Fighting around Goma has closed airport - further 314.000 refugees uprooted at Kahindo & Katale - parts of Bukavu taken by rebels
Red Cross Action
The International Red Cross continues to provide assistance to the Rwandan and Burundian refugees and displaced Zairians in
the Goma area. Both the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (Federation ) and the International
Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) are focusing their effort on the Goma area, having been forced, on Saturday October 28,
to evacuate their remaining delegates out of Bukavu, amidst the chaos and terror currently gripping that city.
At a Glance
UNHCR fields more relief workers to provide basic assistance to Rwandan refugees and displaced Zairians packed like sardines at Mugunga camp in a race against time to prevent outbreaks of epidemics.
Sporadic exchanges of mortar and machinegun fire between Zairian and Rwandan forces on the Bukavu-Gisenyi border.
About 1,500 Burundi refugees in Uvira return to Burundi, report that displaced Zairians are returning to Uvira and that the Banyamulenge are urging Burundi refugees to return to Burundi.
ICRC News 96/43
BURUNDI, RWANDA, TANZANIA, UGANDA &
ZAIRE: RWANDAN AND BURUNDIAN REFUGEES
emergency appeal no. 01.02/96 situation report no. 9 period covered: 29-30 October 1996
EMERGENCY REPORT - KIVU CRISIS
A worst-case scenario is unfolding for refugees from Rwanda and Burundi and local residents in eastern Zaire. Refugee camp residents and local Zairians are caught in a crossfire between Zairian troops and Tutsi rebels, from which they have begun to flee--most toward the interior of Zaire, where no facilities and few resources are readily available to protect them and meet their emergency needs.
Limited relief is reaching refugees in Eastern Zaire
The World Food Programme has decided to launch an emergency airlift of relief supplies to Eastern Zaïre. The airlift will begin with a C-130 now in Kampala, Uganda, and will grow in scope in the coming days and weeks depending on needs and conditions on the ground.
Department of Humanitarian Affairs
Integrated Regional Information Network
Tel: +254 2 622147
Fax: +254 2 622129
(FR) (Reiterates U.S. efforts to end fighting
and aid refugees) (900)
By Robert Fullerton