Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Headlines (most recent)
- MSF: As security situation deteriorates in DR Congo, MSF withdraws staff from Biakato. 6 Dec 2019
- WHO: Second measles vaccination drive targets 2.2 million children in North Kivu. 5 Dec 2019
- EC: EU allocates €50 million to fight Ebola and malnutrition in DR Congo. 2 Dec 2019
- WHO: Four Ebola responders killed in eastern DR Congo in separate attacks. 28 Nov 2019
- UNICEF: Measles kills 4,500 children under-five in DR Congo this year. 27 Nov 2019
Most read reports
- UN SC: Security Council: Situation in Central Africa, 6 December 2019. 7 Dec 2019
- WHO: Measles vaccination drive launched, North Kivu targets 2.2 million children. 5 Dec 2019
- WHO: Ebola virus disease – Democratic Republic of the Congo: Disease outbreak news, 5 December 2019. 6 Dec 2019
- WHO: Measles: fighting a global resurgence. 6 Dec 2019
- MSF: As security situation deteriorates, MSF withdraws staff from Biakato. 6 Dec 2019
The current dynamics and conduct of armed conflict as well as the absence of effective mechanisms to mediate root causes of conflict and displacement have contributed to a global record high of people in need of protection, including displaced people. The regional dimension of many conflicts requires a strategic operational engagement, ensuring a protection continuum during flight and in situations where civilians are unable to move and seek safety.
In 2018, there will be Humanitarian Response Plans in 23 countries: Afghanistan, Burundi, Chad, Cameroon, CAR, DRC, Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Haiti, Iraq, Libya, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Myanmar, Pakistan, Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Ukraine and Yemen. The HRPs for Cameroon, Chad, CAR, DRC, Somalia, Haiti, Sudan, Nigeria (and potentially Niger and Afghanistan) will be multi-year Plans.
Deadline for Completion
ProCap aims to strengthen the collaborative response of protection agencies and non-protection mandated organisations. To do this, it deploys senior personnel with proven protection expertise at field, regional and global operations and trains mid-level protection staff from standby partners and humanitarian organisations. The Project objectives and activities are guided by the 2014-2016 ProCap Strategy.
Project Governance / Management
This report is the seventh in a series of Protection Trends papers prepared by the South Sudan Protection Cluster in close collaboration with the three sub-clusters and other protection actors. After providing an overview of the protection situation, the paper discusses trends on issues reported and observed in the first quarter of 2016 (1 January through 31 March), including forced displacement and population movements, threats against children, gender-based violence, and landmines and explosive remnants of war.