Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2018
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2018
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
Most read reports
- North Kivu, DRC: MSF scales up patient care activities amid growing tensions and decreased access to healthcare
- Three years on: Girls returning from conflict in DR Congo find acceptance through education
- UN Human Rights Office says credible reports suggest at least 890 killed in western DRC violence in mid-December
- New Hope with Ebola Drug Trial
- DR Congo: Electoral Tensions High Amid Inter-communal Violence and Ebola Outbreak
By Volker Türk | 04 October 2018
Mr Chairperson, distinguished delegates, ladies and gentlemen,
During 2017, almost 38,900 refugees were submitted by UNHCR for resettlement1 to 25 countries in Europe,2 36% more than during 2016 and over three times greater than the average rate of 12,400 submissions per year during the last decade.
Between 2007 and 2016, Europe’s proportion of resettlement sub-missions globally has increased from approximately 9% to more than 18%, and in 2017 reached 52%. This is primarily due to a significant decrease globally in new submissions for resettlement, most notably to the United States of America.
The global burden of Improvised Explosive Devices
Iain Overton and Jennifer Dathan
There is no day that goes past without the impact of an improvised explosive device (IED) making headlines around the world. Of all explosive weapons used, the IED is the most widespread, the most harmful and the most pernicious. Based on the belief that to overcome a problem, we must first understand it, this monitor is a small step in seeking to address the terrible realities of today.
It is a monitor that is, also, a response to a call to action.
15,517,531 Total number of displaced people in African countries
3,975,947 Total number of refugees
11,541,584 Total number of Internally Displaced People
134,492 Total sea arrivals in 2015 from African countries to Europe (Greece, Italy, Spain and Malta)