- Hurricane Maria - Sep 2017
- Hurricane Matthew - Sep 2016
- Caribbean: Drought - 2015-2017
- Hurricane Tomas - Oct 2010
- Caribbean: Drought - Feb 2010
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Caribbean: Earthquake - Nov 2007
- Hurricane Dean - Aug 2007
- Caribbean: Hurricane Emily - Jul 2005
- Hurricane Ivan - Sep 2004
SITUATION: Hurricane Dean, hitting the Mexican coast as a Category-5 hurricane yesterday, has been downgraded to a Category-1 storm as it crosses the Yucatan peninsula, though it is expected to strengthen as it crosses the Gulf of Mexico.
In its wake, Dean has toppled hundreds of homes and trees in Mexico and neighboring Belize, as well as causing damage in St. Lucia, Dominica, Jamaica, Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Martinique.
SITUATION: Hurricane Ivan -- already a devastating and threatening storm that has killed at least 20 people after hitting Grenada, Barbados and other Caribbean nations -- now threatens Jamaica and Cuba, Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
The Category-5 storm, already with winds of 160 mph, is taking a path that could take it across Jamaica and Cuba and eventually to Florida.
This menacing storm damaged 90 percent of the homes in Grenada, and was expected to hit Jamaica by Friday and Cuba within two days.
Already the 2004 hurricane season is the deadliest and most severe in a …