- Hurricane Maria - Sep 2017
- Hurricane Matthew - Sep 2016
- Caribbean: Drought - 2015-2017
- Hurricane Tomas - Oct 2010
- Caribbean: Drought - Feb 2010
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Caribbean: Earthquake - Nov 2007
- Hurricane Dean - Aug 2007
- Caribbean: Hurricane Emily - Jul 2005
- Hurricane Ivan - Sep 2004
By JULIA RAWLINS-BENTHAM
Holetown, St. James is poised to create history by becoming the first community in Barbados to receive the UNESCO internationally approved Tsunami Ready Certificate of Recognition.
Come Thursday, March 15, the western community will take centre stage in this year’s annual Caribe Wave 2018 exercise as it seeks to fulfill the requirements of becoming tsunami ready.
Barbados is pursuing its first designation for its efforts in educating the public and creating awareness about the tsunami hazard.
To this end, the Department of Emergency Management (DEM), in collaboration with the Technical Standing Committee on Coastal Hazards (TSCCH), will seek to chronicle the journey as the island marks Tsunami and Earthquake Awareness Month 2018, which runs from today, Thursday, March 1 until Saturday, March 31.
The Royal Barbados Force (RBPF) will be revisiting its hurricane preparedness plans to see how they can be improved in the wake of last year’s devastating hurricanes.
And, Commissioner of Police, Tyrone Griffith, has already indicated that the recently opened Cane Garden Police Station will afford them the opportunity to call out more personnel prior to a potential strike from a storm or hurricane.
The Barbados Defence Force (BDF) has received a boost for its disaster preparedness and response capabilities with a donation of equipment from the People’s Republic of China.
The BDS $6 million worth of equipment, donated by the People’s Liberation Army, comprises 4×4 vehicles, a mobile kitchen, a refrigerator van, a tractor and a vessel. The items were officially handed over by Chinese Ambassador, Yan Xiusheng, to Chief of Staff of the BDF, Colonel Glyne Grannum, during a brief ceremony at St. Ann’s Fort yesterday.
Barbadians are being urged to secure their homes and make them the primary hub of safety during a disaster.
In its message to mark the International Day for Disaster Reduction, recognised today, Friday, October 13, the Department of Emergency Management, has joined with the internationally acknowledged slogan of Home Safe Home.
“That is the home should be able to prevent the displacement of families and ultimately the loss of lives in the event of a disaster,” the statement said.
Damaged homes, businesses and offices are no match for the resilience and determination of residents living in Portsmouth, a town on the northwest coast of Dominica.
They have already begun to pick up the pieces after the category five-Hurricane Maria slammed into the island on September 18.
The residents have been using their personal vehicles to free the roadways, clogged with debris left behind by the hurricane, while at least one other ensured that his community was well lit at night through the use of his generator.
Arrangements are being made to have doctors and nurses from Barbados travel to Dominica to provide much-needed assistance.
This is according to Dr. Brian Charles, who is in Dominica to provide primary assessments for the health care services and the hospital there, and to work alongside the Barbadian military personnel. Dominica remains in a state of emergency after it was devastated by a category five Hurricane Maria on September 18.
As the first Barbados Coast Guard vessel arrived in Dominica this morning, Prime Minister Freundel Stuart pledged Barbados’ commitment to assisting the hurricane-ravaged island in its recovery efforts.
The Prime Minister, who has responsibility for Defence and Security, said that Barbados would continue to send vessels with supplies and personnel to the island for as long as was necessary.
Mr. Stuart extended condolences to the Government and people of Dominica in respect of the loss of life.
The Barbados Defence Force (BDF) is deploying a contingent to assist the Commonwealth of Dominica in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.
This disclosure has come from the BDF’s Public Relations Officer, Captain Maria Moore, who said humanitarian assistance and disaster relief would be provided to the island, which was extensively damaged following the passage of the category five hurricane on Monday night.
The BDF contingent is expected to be deployed within the next 12 hours aboard the HMBS Leonard C. Banfield.
A flood warning is now in effect for Barbados as feeder bands from Tropical Storm (TS) Maria begin to produce pockets of moderate to heavy showers, thunderstorms, and gusty winds across Barbados.
The warning was issued by the Barbados Meteorological Services at 12:00 p.m. today, as the island remains under a tropical storm watch as TS Maria approached the region.
Meanwhile, officials at the Department of Emergency Management (DEM) are urging residents across Barbados to continue monitoring the approach of Tropical Storm Maria as the island remained under storm watch.
Barbados has recorded an increase in the cases of dengue fever this year compared to the same period last year.
Figures released by the Ministry of Health reveal that up to July 23 this year, there were 300 confirmed cases of dengue fever compared to 41 confirmed cases for the same period last year. In addition, there were 976 suspected cases for the period this year compared to 214 last year. Last year, one death was recorded from the disease while there have been no deaths this year.
Residents of Barbados are being urged not to wait until they realise that “galvanise could fly”, or that their refrigerator could be blown away, before recognising the importance of preparing for hurricanes.
And, Hurricane Ivan survivor, Deanzer Roberts, is also urging them to dismiss the notion that “God is a Bajan”, and take all necessary precautions to prepare for the hurricane season.
Published on April 21, 2016 by Theresa Blackman
Attorney General and Minister of Home Affairs, Adriel Brathwaite, has called on regional stakeholders and governments to offer more assistance to the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA).
Speaking last night at the opening ceremony of the Seventh Meeting of the Technical Advisory Committee and the launch of CDEMA’s 25th anniversary celebrations, Mr. Brathwaite stressed that lack of support for the Agency at the regional level was severely hindering that organisation’s development.
Published on March 8, 2016 by Kim Ramsay-Moore
The Governments of Barbados and Japan have signed a million dollar agreement aimed at reducing Barbados’ vulnerability to disaster and increasing this country’s resilience.
The Agreement for the Japanese Economic and Social Development Programme was signed today at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, one day before the official opening of the Japanese Embassy in Barbados. It provides the Government of Barbados with one hundred million Japanese Yen, which is BBD$1,762,000.00.
Published on March 4, 2016 by Joy Springer
The situation related to the emergence of the Zika virus in the region of the Americas is still evolving and research is needed to provide information that will guide policy formulation and necessary interventions.
Minister of Health John Boyce stressed this point this morning as he addressed a symposium hosted by the Regional Zika Task Force of the University of the West Indies (UWI) on the theme, One Environment, One Health: Informing the Caribbean’s Response to Zika.
Published on February 16, 2016 by CIMH/Aisha Reid
The drought conditions which have affected the region since late 2014 are expected to subside by the start of the 2016 Hurricane Season.
However, according to the latest seasonal climate forecast from the Caribbean Institute for Meteorology and Hydrology (CIMH), the region should prepare for the risks of landslides and flash floods, as the rains return.
by Joy Springer
The Ministry of Health disclosed today that the three latest confirmed cases of the Zika virus have occurred in women who are pregnant.
The latest results from the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) bring the number of confirmed cases to seven.
According to a statement from the Ministry, the three women have been notified of the results and have been counselled.
“Specialised obstetrics care will also be provided to monitor the progress of their pregnancies,” the statement added.
Barbados has recorded its first three cases of the Zika virus.
According to an official from the Ministry of Health, of the eight samples sent to the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) for testing, three were positive and five negative for the virus.
The Zika infection is a mild, febrile viral illness transmitted by the bite of a Zika virus-carrying Aedes aegyti mosquito, which is the same mosquito which causes dengue fever and chikungunya.
The Ministry of Health is continuing to monitor the Zika virus, which was reported in the Caribbean region for the first time in June 2015.
Speaking earlier today at a press conference to address the H1N1 and Zika viruses, Minister of Health, John Boyce, reported that there are currently eight suspected cases in Barbados.
He explained that samples will be sent to the Caribbean Public Health Agency for confirmatory testing, and these results will be shared when the Ministry receives word from that agency.
Published on October 19, 2015 by Aisha Reid
Between June and now, Barbados has received approximately 60 per cent less rainfall than the country normally would at this time of the year.
This was disclosed by Minister of Agriculture, Food, Fisheries and Water Resource Management, Dr. David Estwick, during a recent site visit to St. Andrew.
He was joined by representatives of the Barbados Water Authority (BWA), the Environmental Protection Department (EPD), the Town and Country Development Planning Office (TCDPO), and other water experts.