- Hurricane Maria - Sep 2017
- Hurricane Matthew - Sep 2016
- Caribbean: Drought - 2015-2017
- Hurricane Tomas - Oct 2010
- Caribbean: Drought - Feb 2010
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Caribbean: Earthquake - Nov 2007
- Hurricane Dean - Aug 2007
- Caribbean: Hurricane Emily - Jul 2005
- Hurricane Ivan - Sep 2004
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, July 13 (Reuters) - The fifth storm of the Atlantic hurricane season grew into a hurricane on Wednesday as it churned through the Windward Islands of the eastern Caribbean.
Emily's sustained winds hit 90 mph (144 kph) as it approached Grenada and St. Vincent and the Grenadines and threatened Venezuela and the Netherlands Antilles.
At 11 p.m. EDT on Wednesday (0300 GMT on Thursday), the center of Hurricane Emily was about 45 miles (72 km) east-southeast of Grenada and moving to the west at 18 mph (29 kph), the U.S.