- Brazil: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2017
- South America: Floods and Landslides - Dec 2016
- South America: Floods and Landslides - Nov 2015-Dec 2016
- South America: Drought - 2015-2017
- Brazil: Floods - Jul 2015
- Brazil: Floods and Landslides - Dec 2013
- Brazil: Drought - May 2012
- Brazil: Dengue Outbreak - Apr 2012
- Brazil: Floods and Landslides - Jan 2012
- Brazil: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2011
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Flood in Brazil (13 January 2019)
- Lack of papers endangers Venezuelan children in Brazil
- DTM Brasil - N°2 Monitoreo de flujo migratorio venezolano con énfasis en niñez y adolescencia
- Epidemiological Update - Yellow Fever - 7 December 2018
- IACHR and Regional Office for South America of the OHCHR Condemn Murders of Rural Activists in Brazil
$146.0 million UNHCR's financial requirements 2019
Refugee and Migrant Response Plan
Following the official launch in Geneva on 14 December, the Regional Refugee and Migrant Response Plan (RMRP) was presented during the third meeting of the Regional Inter-Agency Coordination Platform. In 2019 the RMRP offers:
A strategy to address the needs of 2.2 million refugees and migrants in 16 countries, aligned with governments’ responses and in coordination with development actors.
El fenómeno migratorio venezolano es de reciente data, empezó hacia mediados del 2015, con la ruptura de la institucionalidad en el vecino país, y se intensificó hacia principios del 2017. De acuerdo a las cifras proveídas por distintas organizaciones internacionales y entidades nacionales en la región esta realidad impone nuevos desafíos para los hacedores de política pública en materia de salud, educación, nutrición y vivienda, entre otros.
The Venezuelan migratory phenomenon is of recent date, it began towards the middle of 2015, with the rupture of the institutionality in the neighboring country, and intensified towards the beginning of 2017. This reality imposes new challenges for public policy makers in health, education, nutrition and housing areas, among others.
In 2018 there were 12 countries in the Americas that reported confirmed measles cases, of which two reported deaths (Brazil and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela).
As of epidemiological week (EW) 2 of 2019, 6 countries reported having confirmed cases between December 2018 and January 2019: Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, the United States of America, and Venezuela.
The following is an update of the epidemiological situation in five of the countries in the Region.
By Fabio Teixeira
Lack of documentation leads to poor access to healthcare and other services in Brazil, while children traveling without parents are at a greater risk of human trafficking
RIO DE JANEIRO, Jan 15 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Fleeing poverty and hunger, at least 1,000 Venezuelan children arrived at Brazil's main entry point unaccompanied by parents or without proper documents in the last five months, according to a report obtained by Thomson Reuters Foundation on Tuesday.
Heavy rainfall over the western area of Rio Grande do Sul State have caused the Ibirapuita, Ibicui and Uruguai rivers to break their banks and cause widespread flooding.
MetSul Meteorologia reported 497mm of rainfall in 72 hours in the state of Uruguaiana. Strong winds have also affected the state. Local media reported one death after a tree uprooted.
Over 2000 people have been displaced and moved to temporary accomodation as the floods damaged houses, blocked roads and water supplies were disrupted.
This monthly digest comprises threats and incidents of violence as well as protests and other events affecting education.
It is prepared by Insecurity Insight from information available in open sources.
All decisions made, on the basis of, or with consideration to, such information remains the responsibility of their respective organisations.
Heavy rain and strong wind have caused flooding in parts of northern Argentina and southern Brazil in recent days, resulting in casualties and damage.
In Argentina, as of 11 January at 8.00 UTC, two people died in Corrientes Province and one in Santiago del Estero Province. Over 90 families have been evacuated in Chaco and over 80 in Santa Fe Province.
In Brazil, as of 11 January at 8.00 UTC, one person was reported dead in the Municipality of Alegrete (Rio Grande do Sul State).
• Pro-poor policies, such as cash transfers, hold wide appeal for politicians in times of economic crises because of the visibility and high level of international support available for such measures.
• The political returns to politicians from a widespread pro-poor policy are significant: they potentially expand their voter base.
• The highly visible link between the politician and cash transfers has mobilised politicians to invest in state capacity and reach eligible citizens.
We aim to increase resilience of protected areas in the Amazon biome, to create livelihoods for communities in the midst of a changing climate scenario.
SITUATION IN NUMBERS
3 million No. of Venezuelans living abroad, including:
2.4 million No. of Venezuelans in countries within Latin America and the Caribbean (Source: IOM/UNHCR, Nov 2018) 470,000 Approx. No. of children in need of assistance as a consequence of the crisis in Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Panama. (Preliminary estimations at transit/receiving country level.)
Some 3.3 million people have fled Venezuela since 2015 and the United Nations estimates another 2 million could follow in 2019
Tensions building as more Latin Americans flee homelands
UN predicts 2 million more Venezuelans to migrate in 2019
Appeal for global help as more countries impacted
By Anastasia Moloney