- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Matthew - Sep 2016
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Belize: Floods - Oct 2015
- Caribbean: Drought - 2015-2017
- Tropical Storm Ernesto - Aug 2012
- Tropical Storm Harvey - Aug 2011
- Hurricane Richard - Oct 2010
- Hurricane Paula - Oct 2010
- Tropical Storm Matthew - Sep 2010
The Government of Belize, with the support of the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), is stepping up its climate change adaptation efforts. Belize’s Social Investment Fund (SIF), an implementing agency of the Government addressing the basic needs of the country’s most vulnerable, has set in motion plans to incorporate Climate Risk Management in its National Project Development Process.
The 2008 hurricane season was the fourth most active in terms of named storms (16) and major hurricanes (five) since 1944 when aircraft reconnaissance of tropical storms and hurricanes began. Other records were also broken: 2008 was the first Atlantic season to have a major hurricane (Category 3+) form in five consecutive months: July: Bertha, August: Gustav, September: Ike, October: Omar, November: Paloma. Four of these five major hurricanes directly impacted the Bank's Borrowing Member Countries (BMCs).
This high activity is related to several conditions including: