- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Matthew - Sep 2016
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Belize: Floods - Oct 2015
- Caribbean: Drought - 2015-2017
- Tropical Storm Ernesto - Aug 2012
- Tropical Storm Harvey - Aug 2011
- Hurricane Richard - Oct 2010
- Hurricane Paula - Oct 2010
- Tropical Storm Matthew - Sep 2010
Managua (dpa) - Ten years after civil conflict and natural disasters battered the region, Central America is struggling today as more than half of its 31 million inhabitants live in poverty.
prepared by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) shows that five of the six Central American nations rate very poorly in areas such as life expectancy, education and per capita income.
Of the 162 countries included in the human development index, only Costa Rica, in position number 41, is ranked as a nation with "high human development''.
The former Hurricane Keith, that was downgraded on Tuesday to a a tropical depression, has gained a new lease on life with windspeeds reaching 105 kilometres per hour, the U.S. Hurricane Centre in Miami reported late Thursday.
The hurricane, which had wrecked havoc in Belize, southern Mexico and Nicaragua last week was reported to be situated 350 kilometres southeast of Mexico's port city of Tampico in the Gulf of Mexico.
It is expected that Keith will reach hurricane status later onon Thursday when wind speeds will exceed 118 kilometres per hour.