- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Matthew - Sep 2016
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Belize: Floods - Oct 2015
- Caribbean: Drought - 2015-2017
- Tropical Storm Ernesto - Aug 2012
- Tropical Storm Harvey - Aug 2011
- Hurricane Richard - Oct 2010
- Hurricane Paula - Oct 2010
- Tropical Storm Matthew - Sep 2010
Global Information and Early Warning System (GIEWS)
Since the end of 2006, several natural disasters have affected food and cash crop production in Latin America and the Caribbean. Their impact on rural development and food security has been varied.
Banana plantations wiped out in several islands
After having strengthened into the highest category 5, Hurricane Dean, the first major Atlantic hurricane of the 2007 season and the third most intense on record, hit the Mexican east coast of Yucatan State on 21 August with winds up to 280 km/hour, to subsequently weaken and be downgraded to category 1. Dean is moving over the coast of the neighbouring Campeche State where it is expected to landfall on 22 August.