- Tropical Cyclone Franklin - Aug 2017
- Hurricane Matthew - Sep 2016
- Hurricane Earl - Aug 2016
- Belize: Floods - Oct 2015
- Caribbean: Drought - 2015-2017
- Tropical Storm Ernesto - Aug 2012
- Tropical Storm Harvey - Aug 2011
- Hurricane Richard - Oct 2010
- Hurricane Paula - Oct 2010
- Tropical Storm Matthew - Sep 2010
The Caribbean has been buffeted by an exceptional number of intense storms and hurricanes this year. In the space of just a few days, Hurricane Irma has been followed by Hurricanes José and Maria, leaving a path of destruction in their wake. Hurricane Irma formed near Cabo Verde towards the end of August and, according to the US National Hurricane Center, was the strongest hurricane on record to form in the Atlantic Ocean.
A UK-funded PAHO project will make safer and greener health facilities in Dominica, Belize, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and St. Lucia to deliver care in disasters.
By Tim Ledwith
NEW YORK, USA, 21 August 2007 - UNICEF and its humanitarian partners in the Caribbean region are taking action to protect children and families from the effects of Hurricane Dean, as Jamaica picks up the pieces from a battering it took on Sunday and Mexico feels Dean's fierce impact today.
The hurricane, which had intensified into a Category 5 storm, struck the Yucatan peninsula near the city of Chetumal early this morning, local time.