- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Benin: Cholera Outbreak - Sep 2016
- Benin/Nigeria/Togo: Lassa Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Benin: Cholera Outbreak - Oct 2013
- Benin: Floods - Sep 2013
- Benin: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Benin: Cholera Epidemic - Oct 2012
- Benin: Floods - Oct 2012
- West/Central Africa: Meningitis Outbreak - Jan 2012
Most read reports
- Supporting climate resilient agriculture in Benin
- WFP Benin Country Brief, June 2018
- Inauguration de l’Institut de Formation en Soins Infirmiers et Obstétricaux (IFSIO) : plus de 200 millions de FCFA investis par la Belgique pour cet immeuble
- World Bank Board Approves West Africa Coastal Areas (WACA) Resilience Investment Project
- Innovation Platform (IP) in rice value chain creates jobs, generates income and secures food in Bantè, Benin
- 445 Outbreaks following importations of wild poliovirus into countries of the WHO African, European and South-East Asian Regions: January 2009 – September 2010
- 445 Flambées consécutives à l’importation du poliovirus sauvage dans les Région africaine, européenne et d’Asie du Sud-Est de l’OMS – jan
Authors: Steve Wiggins, Julia Compton and Sharada Keats
The issue of rising food prices came to international attention in early 2008. This document answers the following questions about the crisis and responses to it:
- What has happened to food prices and why?
- Why are food prices important & where can we find them?
- How have countries and the international community responded?
- The future
The Global Update provides food security information on trends in food access and utilization. Key food access indicators reported are food consumption, coping strategies and terms of trade. These indicators are proximate to food security status and so enable early identification of potential increases in food insecurity.
This update provides information on 34 countries for the period January to June 2010.
Three categories are used to classify the food security trend: Improved, No Change and Deteriorated.
* Tajikistan has launched its response to a large wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) outbreak, with a national immunization activity being launched on 1 May in Dushanbe, the capital. As of this week, 32 WPV1 cases have been confirmed. For full details, see 'Tajikistan' section.
* At the T20 cricket world cup in St Lucia, the Indian and Afghanistan cricket teams came together at a media event to urge parents to immunize their children.
Polio outbreak in Tajikistan: Wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) has been detected in Tajikistan, representing the first importation of poliovirus in the WHO European Region since it was certified polio-free in 2002. The virus is most closely related to viruses originating in Uttar Pradesh, India. 199 cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) have been reported, the majority of these having had onset of paralysis in April. To date, WPV1 had been isolated in 32 of these cases.