Most read reports
- American Samoa UHC Dengue Situation Report Epi Week 43 (October 21–27, 2018)
- American Samoa Weekly Communicable Disease Surveillance Report - Week of Sunday, November 11, 2018 - Saturday, November 24, 2018 (Epi Week 47)
- Asia Pacific Regional Hazard Map: Earthquake Risk - Modified Mercalli Scale
- American Samoa Weekly Communicable Disease Surveillance Report - Week of Sunday, November 11, 2018 -- Saturday, November 17, 2018 (Epi Week 46)
- Dengue contained on American Samoa
Tsunamis are rare, powerful and unpredictable natural hazards, with devastating consequences for coastal populations caught in their path. The vast majority are caused by earthquakes in active seismic areas and occur along a limited range of inhabited shores around the world (Figure 1). In total, 16 major tsunamis killed 250,900 people in 21 countries between 1996 and 2015, according to EM-DAT records.