Most read reports
- American Samoa to get over $US60 million in Gita aid
- American Samoa UHC Zika & Dengue Situation Report (June 10 – 24, 2018)
- American Samoa UHC Zika & Dengue Situation Report (May 28 – June 10, 2018)
- Asia Pacific Regional Hazard Map: Earthquake Risk - Modified Mercalli Scale
- American Samoa Weekly Communicable Disease Surveillance Report - Week of Sunday, July 01, 2018 -- Saturday, July 07, 2018 (Epi Week 27)
Tsunamis are rare, powerful and unpredictable natural hazards, with devastating consequences for coastal populations caught in their path. The vast majority are caused by earthquakes in active seismic areas and occur along a limited range of inhabited shores around the world (Figure 1). In total, 16 major tsunamis killed 250,900 people in 21 countries between 1996 and 2015, according to EM-DAT records.