Appeals & Response Plans
- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2017
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Angola: Drought - 2012-2014
- Angola: Cholera Outbreak - Dec 2011
- Angola: Floods - Dec 2011
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
- Angola: Floods - Oct 2010
- Angola: Floods - Mar 2010
Maps & Infographics
Armyworm spread has undermined hopes for a better harvest this year, with swathes of southern, eastern and western Africa infested
By Umberto Bacchi
ROME, April 28 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The fall armyworm - which decimates fields as it marches ever forward - has spread to Angola as the caterpillar eats its way through southern Africa, a U.N. agency said.
"This is concerning and may indicate that there's a bigger story beginning to emerge in Africa"
By Sally Hayden
LONDON, Jan 31 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - A drug widely used to cure malaria has failed for the first time in patients being treated in Britain, raising questions over whether the parasite is becoming resistant to drugs, researchers said on Tuesday.
by Beh Lih Yi | @BehLihYi | Thomson Reuters Foundation
Friday, 11 November 2016 10:54 GMT
Three fifths of the 5.9 million children who died before their fifth birthday last year lived in just 10 countries
By Beh Lih Yi
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 11 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Sixty percent of the world's 5.9 million children who died before their fifth birthday last year were in 10 countries in Asia and Africa, said a study published on Friday, prompting calls for action to reduce the mortality.