Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- UNICEF: Angola's drought takes heavy toll on children's education. 2 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- FAO: GIEWS Country Brief: Angola 18-October-2019. 18 Oct 2019
- WFP: WFP Angola Country Brief, September 2019. 17 Oct 2019
- UNICEF: Where drinking water is a 90-minute walk away. 2 Oct 2019
- Govt. Angola: WHO and UNICEF reiterate support for routine vaccination in Angola. 19 Oct 2019
Written by Katie Lawson , Staff Writer, Redcross.org
Thursday, July 06, 2006 - According to the World Health Organization (WHO), cholera claims the lives of 150,000 people in developing countries each year. Although the disease has been virtually eliminated in the United States, in other parts of the world cholera is still all too common and deadly.
In mid-February 2006, an outbreak of cholera was reported in the African country of Angola. By June, the outbreak had grown to nearly 44,000 cases with more than 1,600 deaths.