Appeals & Response Plans
- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2017
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Angola: Drought - 2012-2014
- Angola: Cholera Outbreak - Dec 2011
- Angola: Floods - Dec 2011
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
- Angola: Floods - Oct 2010
- Angola: Floods - Mar 2010
Maps & Infographics
By Peter Apps
COLOMBO, April 7 (Reuters) - Rich countries that respond overwhelmingly to high-profile disasters such as the 2004 tsunami should do much more to help victims of lower-profile conflicts, a senior United Nations official said.
"The moral imperative is clear -- you have to build them a better life," said Dennis McNamara, head of the U.N.'s Office for Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) internal displacement division.
"But there's also a political imperative. You cannot build on the peace process without a stable population base. You …