- Southern Africa: Drought - Nov 2018
- Southern Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Jan 2017
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2017
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- Southern Africa: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- Angola: Drought - 2012-2014
- Angola: Cholera Outbreak - Dec 2011
- Angola: Floods - Dec 2011
- Southern Africa: Floods - Jan 2011
- Angola: Floods - Oct 2010
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Angola: Biometric Registration Update as of 18 February 2019
- Angola: Inter-Agency Operational Update (14 November - 17 December 2018)
- GIEWS Country Brief: Angola 12-February-2019
- UNICEF Angola Humanitarian Situation Report January - December 2018
Vulnerable populations in six Southern African countries will likely require humanitarian assistance through mid-2018
FAW infestations reported in at least eight Southern Africa countries
USAID/FFP provides nearly $47 million in additional funding to improve food security throughout the region
• Many countries across the African continent face recurrent complex emergencies, frequent food insecurity, cyclical drought, and sudden-onset disasters such as earthquakes, floods, and storms. In FY 2016, as in previous years, USAID/OFDA not only responded to urgent needs resulting from disasters, but also supported DRR programs that built resilience and improved emergency preparedness, mitigation, and response capacity at local, national, and regional levels.
An estimated 383,261 people were affected by floods or storms and at least 117 people lost their lives during the 2013/2014 rainfall season.
Tropical Cyclone Hellen, which impacted Mozambique, Comoros and Madagascar in late March, was one of the most powerful cyclones ever recorded in the Mozambique Channel.
In Zimbabwe, the more than 15,625 people evacuated remain in dire living conditions.
9.6 million people remain displaced in the region
An estimated 518,000 people across southern Africa were affected by floods and storms during the 2012/2013 rainfall season.
The most affected country was Mozambique, where 250,000 people received humanitarian assistance.
Due in part to the sub-optimal temporal distribution of rainfall, most countries may have below average rainfall-related crop performance this season.
Above normal rainfall is expected for the remainder of the season.
Dry conditions in late 2012 have led to late planting, raising concerns that agricultural production could be negatively impacted.
Localized storm damage has been reported in Malawi, Angola, Zambia and Mozambique.
A Cholera outbreak has hit Zambia.
Madagascar has declared an emergency to address the locust invasion threatening food security in the south.
Les combats dans l'est de la RDC et la situation humanitaire au Zimbabwe focalisent toujours l'attention de la communauté internationale et humanitaire.
Fighting in eastern DRC and the humanitarian situation in Zimbabwe continue to focus the attention of the international and humanitarian community. Other Political crises leading to insecurity, displacement of populations in some countries are still on-going. Diseases outbreaks continue to strike several countries.
- CAR: High concern over security situation in many areas continues especially in the Northwest in view of the approaching date for the beginning of the Global and Inclusive Peace Dialogue of 5th of December 2008.
L'attention de la communauté internationale et humanitaire est encore focalisée sur la situation humanitaire dans l'est de la RDC où environ 1,6 millions de personnes sont déplacées.
The attention of international and humanitarian community is still focused on the humanitarian situation in the eastern DRC where about 1.6 million people are displaced. The upsurge of cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe is also of high concern in an environment disrupted by a chronic humanitarian crisis.
- CAR: High concern over security situation in many areas.
Agriculture, Coordination and Support Services, Education, Food, Health, Infrastructure and Rehabilitation, Mine Action, Protection / Human Rights / Rule of Law, Refugees and IDPs, Security, Shelter and Non-food Items, Water & Sanitation
(B) Middle East,Central Asia and Eastern Europe: (1) Lebanon
(C) East & Central Africa: (1) Burundi (2) Congo, DR (3) Eritrea (4) Kenya (5) Rwanda (6) Somalia (7) Sudan (8) Tanzania (9) Uganda
(D) West Africa: (1) Cote d'Ivoire (2) Liberia
(E) Southern Africa: (1) Angola (2) Lesotho (3) Madagascar (4) Malawi (5) …