Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Govt. Angola: Angola and UNHCR to create refugee database. 18 Feb 2020
- Govt. Angola: 125 suspected land mines in Cuanza Norte identified. 18 Feb 2020
- OCHA: Southern Africa: Humanitarian Key Messages, December 2019. 6 Dec 2019
- FAO: As climate shocks intensify, UN food agencies urge more support for southern Africa’s hungry people. 31 Oct 2019
- Thomson Reuters Foundation: Cheap as bread, girls sell sex to survive crisis in Africa. 31 Jan 2020
Overview: In East Africa, harvest is complete for main season cereals in the north of the subregion and yields were favourable except in Sudan and South Sudan due to flood damage, socioeconomic impacts, and conflict, and parts of Ethiopia due to dry conditions early in the season and to a lesser extent desert locust. In the south of the subregion, harvest is complete for second season crops and yields were generally average despite unprecedented flooding caused from record October to December rains.
- World cereal production in 2008 is forecast to increase 4.9 percent to a record 2 232 million tonnes, considerably up from earlier predictions after better than expected results from the major harvests gathered in the past two months.
- Based on the latest production forecast, a significant improvement in the global supply and demand balance for cereals in the 2008/09 season can be expected.