Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Govt. Angola: Over 200,000 children benefit from polio vaccine. 13 Jul 2019
- Govt. Angola: Ministers assess situation of Congolese refugees. 19 Aug 2019
- Govt. Angola: Angola supports Congolese refugees. 21 Aug 2019
- UNICEF: UNICEF Angola Humanitarian Situation Report July 2019. 7 Aug 2019
Since the Anti-Personnel Mine-Ban Treaty was adopted in September 1997, mine action has helped an ever-increasing number of civilians reclaim their lives and restore their livelihoods. The treaty has helped mobilize the international community's response to landmines and their impact on people.
1. A significant increase in the numbers of persons of concern to UNHCR brought new challenges in 2006. While there was a 14 per cent increase in refugee numbers from the previous year, the Office's involvement, together with other humanitarian partners, in protecting and assisting internally displaced persons (IDPs) under the inter-agency cluster approach, resulted in a doubling of IDP figures. Thanks to better data capturing, many more stateless people have been identified, also swelling numbers.
September 2007 - Internally displaced persons (IDPs) were central to the humanitarian reform initiated by Jan Egeland, then-Emergency Relief Coordinator in 2005. It was widely recognized that the collaborative approach which had been developed to assign institutional responsibilities for IDPs was not working. Humanitarian reform was intended to "fill the gaps" in humanitarian response - particularly for IDPs -- but over time it became something else.
Dix ans après que la communauté internationale se soit engagée à éliminer le fléau des mines antipersonnel, les Nations Unies peuvent se prévaloir de plusieurs réalisations collectives : les mines et les restes explosifs de guerre font de moins en moins de victimes; plusieurs aspects essentiels d'un cadre juridique international renforcé ont été mis en oeuvre; on a expressément reconnu l'importance de l'égalité des sexes et des droits des personnes handicapées dans l'ensemble du domaine de la lutte antimines; et les nombreux partenaires engagés dans la …