Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- VOA: Drought Leaves 2 Million Food Insecure in Angola. 24 May 2019
- HALO: Thanks to BP Angola our 100 Women in Demining project is growing. 21 May 2019
- Govt. Angola: Angola: Biometric Registration Update as of 20 May 2019. 24 May 2019
- Govt. Angola: Government releases USD 600 million to combat drought. 11 May 2019
- HALO: BP gives $1.2 million for mine clearance and women's empowerment in Angola. 4 May 2019
On Monday 16 October 2017 the Council adopted the EU Annual Report on Human Rights And Democracy in the World in 2016.
2016 was a challenging year for human rights and democracy, with a shrinking space for civil society and complex humanitarian and political crises emerging. In this context, the European Union showed leadership and remained strongly committed to promote and protect human rights and democracy across the world.
AFRICA: In eastern Africa, despite improved outlook for current season crops in several countries, more than 18 million people are in need of food assistance. In western Africa, notwithstanding improved harvest prospects generally in the Sahel, the food security situation is still of concern notably in Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso. In Southern Africa, food insecurity is worsening for an estimated 12 million people due to reduced harvests in 2005, escalating food prices and rising energy costs.