Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- MAG: Towards a landmine-free Angola. 17 Jun 2019
- Govt. Angola: OMA launches campaign to support drought victims. 13 Jun 2019
- Govt. Angola: Over USD 300 million needed for demining. 9 Jun 2019
- Govt. Angola: Cunene: First lady donates food items to drought-hit families. 12 Jun 2019
- Govt. Angola: Japan spends USD 200,000 on mine clearance in Uíge. 12 Jun 2019
By Suman Bandrapalli
It happens everyday, somewhere. It happened in Sierra Leone on Tuesday: Several hundred Sierra Leoneans fled their homes to neighboring Guinea to escape the internal strife that reignited last week. This latest exodus of refugees is following in the footsteps of 460,000 other Sierra Leoneans who have sought shelter in other countries since the conflict first erupted eight years ago. At the end of 1999, armed conflict, disaster, or persecution forced more than 14 million people around the world to seek refuge on foreign soil.
War-crimes sleuths due in Kosovo today. UN aid rolled yesterday. Don't expect blue helmets of peacekeepers.
Minh T. Vo, Special to The Christian Science Monitor
UNITED NATIONS, N.Y.