Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Govt. Angola: EU releases EURO 12 million for Resilience Programmes. 20 Jun 2019
- HALO: Angola invests $60m to clear landmines from Earth’s ‘last wild place’. 18 Jun 2019
- Govt. Angola: UNICEF grants AKZ 460 million to combat drought. 21 Jun 2019
- MAG: Towards a landmine-free Angola. 17 Jun 2019
- Govt. Angola: OMA launches campaign to support drought victims. 13 Jun 2019
By Peter Apps
COLOMBO, April 7 (Reuters) - Rich countries that respond overwhelmingly to high-profile disasters such as the 2004 tsunami should do much more to help victims of lower-profile conflicts, a senior United Nations official said.
"The moral imperative is clear -- you have to build them a better life," said Dennis McNamara, head of the U.N.'s Office for Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) internal displacement division.
"But there's also a political imperative. You cannot build on the peace process without a stable population base. You …