Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Govt. Angola: At least 108 thousand kilometres of roads cleared of landmines. 17 Aug 2019
- Govt. Angola: Over 200,000 children benefit from polio vaccine. 13 Jul 2019
- UNICEF: UNICEF Angola Humanitarian Situation Report July 2019. 7 Aug 2019
- Govt. Angola: Angola: Biometric Registration Update as of 29 July 2019. 8 Aug 2019
- UNHCR: Government & UNHCR cooperation on health to affected populations: Case of Lunda Norte, Angola. 8 Aug 2019
AFRICA: In eastern Africa, despite improved outlook for current season crops in several countries, more than 18 million people are in need of food assistance. In western Africa, notwithstanding improved harvest prospects generally in the Sahel, the food security situation is still of concern notably in Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso. In Southern Africa, food insecurity is worsening for an estimated 12 million people due to reduced harvests in 2005, escalating food prices and rising energy costs.
CROP AND FOOD SUPPLY SITUATION
As of October 2004, the number of countries facing serious food shortages throughout the world stands at 35 with 23 in Africa, 6 in Asia/Near East, 5 in Latin America and 1 in Europe. The causes are varied but civil strife and adverse weather, including drought predominate. In many of these countries, the HIV/AIDS pandemic is a major contributing factor.