Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- WFP: WFP Angola Country Brief, August 2019. 18 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Lunda Norte: Voluntary repatriation of refugees ends. 12 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Over 200,000 children benefit from polio vaccine. 13 Jul 2019
- Govt. Angola: DRC refugees' situation worrying - Official. 5 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Angola assumes responsibility on stay of DRC refugees. 31 Aug 2019
LUANDA, Angola (AP) -- Five former UNITA rebel generals reported to the capital Monday to take up posts in a new unified army alongside one-time opponents in Angola's two-decade civil war.
Among the five was UNITA's chief of staff, Arlindo Chenda Pena, who will be second in command under the government's chief of staff, Gen. Joao de Matos.
The rebel demobilization is part of a 1994 U.N.-brokered peace agreement that ended fighting between the government and UNITA, the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola.
BAILUNDO, Angola (AP) -- UNITA rebels rejected an offered vice presidential post for their leader Tuesday, setting back efforts to establish a coalition government to end Angola's two-decade civil war.
President Jose Eduardo dos Santos had made the offer personally to Jonas Savimbi earlier this year.
Savimbi had said he did not want the job if it were mainly ceremonial, and UNITA rebels followed that up with a statement Tuesday ''categorically'' rejecting the post.
The vice presidency would control mining, trade, health and tourism ministries.