Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- WFP: WFP Angola Country Brief, August 2019. 18 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Lunda Norte: Voluntary repatriation of refugees ends. 12 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Over 200,000 children benefit from polio vaccine. 13 Jul 2019
- Govt. Angola: DRC refugees' situation worrying - Official. 5 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Angola assumes responsibility on stay of DRC refugees. 31 Aug 2019
Contrary to the still prevailing belief caused by sometimes one-sided media coverage that a large share of African migrants relocate to Europe or the developed states in the North, research has shown that this is not the case. Only 1.5 percent of all Sub-Saharan Africans, living outside their country, live within the European Union. More than two-thirds of all migrants from Sub-Saharan Africa, however, migrate to other countries within Sub-Saharan Africa (approximately 16.3 million).
Sub-Saharan Africa is also a region characterized by high numbers of forced migrants.
With the support of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Bonn International Center for Conversion (BICC) is organizing an international conference on the topic of security and migration, entitled "Migration and Displacement in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Security-Migration Nexus II". The conference will take place on 13 and 14 February 2009 in Bonn.
Contrary to the prevalent opinion that migration is particularly a North-South issue, facts and figures show a totally different picture.