Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- UNICEF: Angola's drought takes heavy toll on children's education. 2 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- AfDB: Angola: African Development Bank approves $1 million grant to children’s food and nutrition security programs. 19 Oct 2019
- EC-JRC: GDO Analytical Report: Drought in southern Angola - October 2019. 22 Oct 2019
- UNICEF: Where drinking water is a 90-minute walk away. 2 Oct 2019
- Govt. Angola: WHO and UNICEF reiterate support for routine vaccination in Angola. 19 Oct 2019
- WFP: WFP Angola Country Brief, September 2019. 17 Oct 2019
- Preparations for World Polio Day taking place next week on 24 October are in full swing. On that day, the Global Commission for the Certification of Poliomyelitis Eradication (GCC) is expected to declare poliovirus type 3 (WPV3) as globally eradicated. The event will be broadcast on the internet.
On 24 October 2019, World Polio Day, an event will be held at the WHO to mark the potential certification of eradication of wild poliovirus type 3. With no poliovirus type 3 detected anywhere in the world since 2012, the Global Commission for the Certification of Poliomyelitis Eradication (GCC) is anticipated to officially declare this strain as globally eradicated. The event will also be broadcast on the internet.
In the Philippines, a case of vaccine-derived poliovirus has been detected and is being further investigated, as outbreak response will be implemented. See ‘Philippines’ section below for further details.
Summary of new viruses this week: Afghanistan — six wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1)- positive environmental samples; Nigeria— one circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) case; Angola— seven cVDPV2 cases
The Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) partners and the United Arab Emirates co-hosted an informal reception as a pre-event ahead of the Polio Pledging Moment in the United Arab Emirates’-hosted Reaching the Last Mile Forum in Abu Dhabi, in November 2019. The GPEI also presented the 2019-2023 GPEI Investment Case. Read more.
The Technical Advisory Group on Polio Eradication in Pakistan met on 29 – 30 August to discuss the challenges faced by the programme and propose recommendations for transforming key aspects in the programme strategy for polio eradication.
An Investment case has been launched in order to ensure the GPEI’s funding requirements are fully financed until eradication and certification.
Polio this week as of 28 August 2019
Technical Advisory Group on Polio Eradication in Afghanistan met on 25-26 August 2019 to discuss and propose recommendations on a range of thematic areas in combatting the ongoing wild poliovirus transmission in the region including: access issues, ban on house-to-house campaigns, optimizing community engagement, and geographic prioritization.