Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- WFP: WFP Angola Country Brief, August 2019. 18 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Over 200,000 children benefit from polio vaccine. 13 Jul 2019
- Govt. Angola: Lunda Norte: Voluntary repatriation of refugees ends. 12 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: DRC refugees' situation worrying - Official. 5 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Angola assumes responsibility on stay of DRC refugees. 31 Aug 2019
By Evelyne Karanja
Nairobi, Kenya, 18 October 2017 - The African Union has announced plans to increase the number of member States with national disaster loss data bases and to put a training programme in place in preparation for the roll-out next year of the Sendai Monitor, the UNISDR-backed mechanism for measuring progress in reducing disaster losses.
AFRICA: In eastern Africa, despite improved outlook for current season crops in several countries, more than 18 million people are in need of food assistance. In western Africa, notwithstanding improved harvest prospects generally in the Sahel, the food security situation is still of concern notably in Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso. In Southern Africa, food insecurity is worsening for an estimated 12 million people due to reduced harvests in 2005, escalating food prices and rising energy costs.