Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- World Vision: Number of people affected by hunger in southern Africa ‘will stretch around the world’. 10 Nov 2019
Most read reports
- OCHA: Southern Africa: Humanitarian Key Messages, December 2019. 6 Dec 2019
- WHO: WHO supports Angola’s Government efforts to end polio outbreak. 2 Dec 2019
- Govt. Angola: Drought victims in Cunene get food aid. 8 Dec 2019
- FAO: As climate shocks intensify, UN food agencies urge more support for southern Africa’s hungry people. 31 Oct 2019
- World Vision: The number of people affected by hunger in southern Africa ‘will stretch around the world’. 10 Nov 2019
This update concerns the situation of Congolese refugees and asylum seekers in countries in the region.
As of 30 June 2019, 861,077 Congolese refugees are being hosted in several African countries. From 1 January to 30 June 2019 alone, some 49,660 Congolese fled to neighboring countries, with a particularly significant increase in refugee flows to Uganda.
UNHCR together with 57 humanitarian and development partners launched the revised 2019-2020 Regional Refugee Response Plan (RRRP) on 30 June 2019 to help respond to the needs of Congolese refugees in Africa.
In 2018, the crisis in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) drastically worsened, spreading to previously unaffected areas and impacting the Great Lakes region. The ongoing conflicts across much of eastern and central DRC continue to cause significant displacement, damage to property and tragic loss of human life.