Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
Most read reports
- World Vision: The number of people affected by hunger in southern Africa ‘will stretch around the world’. 10 Nov 2019
- FAO: As climate shocks intensify, UN food agencies urge more support for southern Africa’s hungry people. 31 Oct 2019
- Govt. Angola: Over 40 cases of polio recorded in Angola. 18 Nov 2019
- UN RC Angola: United Nations supports voluntary repatriation of refugees to DR Congo. 14 Nov 2019
- AfDB: Angola: African Development Bank approves $1 million grant to children’s food and nutrition security programs. 19 Oct 2019
Extensive U.S. flooding leads to multi-billion-dollar impact in the Missouri & Mississippi River Basins
Cyclone Idai leaves nearly 1,100 people dead & causes a humanitarian crisis in Southern Africa
Windstorm Eberhard poised to become the costliest event of the 2018/19 season in Europe
8.0 billion Anticipated global cost of flooding events in March 2019 in USD
This overview document presents 331 safety, security and access incidents affecting aid delivery in 12 countries in Southern Africa between January 2017 and March 2018. The report is based on incidents identified in open sources and reported by Aid in Danger partner agencies using the Security in Numbers Database (SiND). The focus is on countries where possible changing or emerging risks can be identified. The total number of reported incidents below reflects the willingness of agencies to share information. It is neither a complete count nor representative.
This overview document presents 277 security incidents affecting aid delivery in 12 countries in Southern Africa between January 2017 and March 2018. The report is based on incidents identified in open sources and reported by Aid in Danger partner agencies using the Security in Numbers Database (SiND).
This overview document presents incidents affecting aid delivery in 12 countries in Southern Africa in 2017. The report is based on incidents identified in open sources and reported by Aid in Danger partner agencies using the Security in Numbers Database (SiND). In 2017, 224 security incidents affecting NGO staff members, programmes and assets were reported. The total number of reported incidents below reflects the willingness of agencies to share information. It is neither a complete count nor representative.
Armed insurgencies, social cleavages and governance deficits relating to authoritarian rule and abuse of state resources all imperil peace and stability in Southern Africa. The Southern African Development Community’s institutional framework for regional peace and security is proving ineffective because its leaders are unwilling to enforce democratic principles.
Michael Aeby, Researcher, Graduate Institute Geneva
Estimaciones globales sobre la inseguridad alimentaria aguda en 2017
• Alrededor de 124 millones de personas en 51 países se enfrentan a una situación de Crisis de inseguridad alimentaria o peor (equivalente o superior a la fase 3 del IPC/CH) y requieren una acción humanitaria urgente para salvar vidas, proteger los medios de vida y reducir los niveles de hambre y desnutrición aguda.
Estimations mondiales de l’insécurité alimentaire aiguë en 2017
• Environ 124 millions de personnes vivant dans 51 pays sont en situation d’insécurité alimentaire de Crise ou pire (Phase 3 ou pire de l’IPC ou du CH ou équivalent) et requièrent une action humanitaire urgente afin de sauver des vies, protéger les moyens d’existence et réduire les déficits de consommation alimentaire et la malnutrition aiguë.
Acute food insecurity global estimates in 2017
• Around 124 million people in 51 countries face Crisis food insecurity or worse (equivalent of IPC/CH Phase 3 or above). They require urgent humanitarian action to save lives, protect livelihoods, and reduce hunger and malnutrition.
Aid in Danger partner agency incidents. Partner agencies operate in 11 countries. Partner agencies reported 491 incidents in nine countries and 11 security measures taken to protect staff, assets and programmes in three countries. The total number of reported incidents below reflects the willingness of agencies to share information. It is not a complete count nor representative. For other incidents recorded by the Aid in Danger project, including from open sources, please see NGO Security Incident Overview.
How are national and regional legal frameworks (including economic and financial system interventions) currently used to control and restrict the illegal wildlife trade (excluding fish or forestry products) in Sub Saharan Africa?
Desmidt, S., Hauck, V. 2017. Gestion des conflits dans le cadre de l'Architecture africaine de la paix et de sécurité (APSA). (Document de réflexion 211). Maastricht : ECDPM.
JUNE 2, 2017 FROM CGIAR News from CGIAR System Organization
The recent appearance of the fall armyworm, an insect-pest, which causes damage to more than 80 crop species in 14 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, poses a serious challenge and significant risk to the region’s food security.
Desmidt, S., Hauck, V. 2017. Conflict management under the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA). (Discussion Paper 211). Maastricht: ECDPM.
Who Suffers Most From Extreme Weather Events? Weather-related Loss Events in 2015 and 1996 to 2015
About this study
The Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) was established by the Assembly of the African Union (AU) in 2003. The Programme’s main aim is to raise agricultural productivity by at least 6% per year while increasing public investment in agriculture to 10% of the annual national budgets. Following an initial focus on interventions at the national level, there is growing awareness of the need to work more on the regional dimensions of the CAADP.
ByMorten Bøås with James J. Hentz
Africa’s security is currently standing at a crossroads. Relatively high African growth rates in combination with the increased institutional strength, credibility and legitimacy of the African Union (AU) and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) have led to greater confidence in Africa’s ability to deal with its security challenges. However, the continent is also confronted with significant security challenges that could have severe ramifications across several countries and regions.