Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- WFP: WFP Angola Country Brief, August 2019. 18 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Over 200,000 children benefit from polio vaccine. 13 Jul 2019
- Govt. Angola: Lunda Norte: Voluntary repatriation of refugees ends. 12 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: DRC refugees' situation worrying - Official. 5 Sep 2019
- Govt. Angola: Angola assumes responsibility on stay of DRC refugees. 31 Aug 2019
At least twenty villages in Botswana were evacuated and some 200 families displaced after the Okavango River, fourth largest of Africa, burst its banks in the past days, reaching unprecedented levels. As already occurred in the past during the rain season between March and June, the river flooded in the homonymous northern district where it empties into a vast swamp in the Kalahari desert, irrigating an area of over 16,000sq/km (Okavango Delta). Local authorities mobilised to avoid the spread of water-borne diseases, but a further rise of water levels may hamper operations.
[This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]
JOHANNESBURG, 6 October (IRIN) - The UN's refugee agency, UNHCR in Botswana will begin registering Angolan refugees willing to return home this week, a senior official of the UN's refugee agency told IRIN on Tuesday.
"Two Angolan refugee leaders returned from a go-and-see mission to Lumbala N'guimbo [in the eastern province of Moxico] and [the city of] Huambo [in the central province of Huambo] last week, which is why we are proceeding with the registration this week," said Benny Otim, …