Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Govt. Angola: 125 suspected land mines in Cuanza Norte identified. 18 Feb 2020
- OCHA: Southern Africa: Humanitarian Key Messages, December 2019. 6 Dec 2019
- Thomson Reuters Foundation: Cheap as bread, girls sell sex to survive crisis in Africa. 31 Jan 2020
- FAO: As climate shocks intensify, UN food agencies urge more support for southern Africa’s hungry people. 31 Oct 2019
- World Vision: The number of people affected by hunger in southern Africa ‘will stretch around the world’. 10 Nov 2019
In 2016, the World Bank Group stepped up its engagement in situations of conflictinduced forced displacement at the global and country levels and adopted a new approach to its engagement that recognizes displacement as a development challenge that must be addressed to attain the World Bank Group’s twin goals.
Since fiscal year 2016, the Bank Group’s analytical, financial, and operational support has become more aligned with its stated development approach building on lessons from past engagements. This is an important shift.
Director of School for a Culture of Peace
?? In the Philippines, the MILF abandoned its request for independence for certain regions of Mindanao and instead agreed to create a sub-state or an autonomous republic.
?? In Kosovo, the International Court of Justice handed down a non-binding ruling that the 2008 declaration of independence did not violate either international law or United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244.
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
38th & 39th Meetings (AM & PM)
High Commissioner for Refugees Says Trends Causing Crises to Multiply; Means Humanitarian Action Operating in Difficult International Environment
Five "mega-trends" -- population growth, urbanization, climate change, migration and food, water and energy insecurity –- made contemporary forms of displacement increasingly complex, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees told the Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural) today.
Sixty-second General Assembly
41st & 42nd Meetings (AM & PM)
Red Cross Cautions against Preferential Treatment For Displaced People over Other Categories of Victims
As the Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural) today concluded its review of the right of peoples to self-determination, this afternoon, acting without a vote, it approved a draft resolution, as orally amended, that would have the General Assembly designate an international year for human rights learning, commencing 10 December 2008.
1. A significant increase in the numbers of persons of concern to UNHCR brought new challenges in 2006. While there was a 14 per cent increase in refugee numbers from the previous year, the Office's involvement, together with other humanitarian partners, in protecting and assisting internally displaced persons (IDPs) under the inter-agency cluster approach, resulted in a doubling of IDP figures. Thanks to better data capturing, many more stateless people have been identified, also swelling numbers.
Remarks by Mrs Sadako Ogata, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees at the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia "Addressing Humanitarian Crises Through Global Solidarity: Is It Possible? Is It Effective?" Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 17 May 1999