Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- UNICEF: Angola's drought takes heavy toll on children's education. 2 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- WFP: WFP Angola Country Brief, September 2019. 17 Oct 2019
- UNICEF: Where drinking water is a 90-minute walk away. 2 Oct 2019
- Amnesty: The end of cattle's paradise: How land diversion for ranches eroded food security in the Gambos, Angola. 15 Oct 2019
- WHO: Angola conducts review and validation of data on Neglected Tropical Diseases. 9 Oct 2019
- Govt. Angola: Cunene records rainfall after 12-month drought. 14 Oct 2019
FACTS & FIGURES
- There have been 950 cases globally* in 2010 (864 type 1 and 86 type 3), compared with 1,595 cases at the same time in 2009 (477 type 1 and 1,116 type 3 and 2 mixtures).
- 20 countries reported cases in 2010, compared with 23 in 2009.
* Many of the 540 cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) reported from Congo do not have stool specimens but are clinically compatible with polio. When definitively classified, these cases will add to the yearly total.
FACTS & FIGURES
- There have been 874 cases globally this year (794 type 1 and 80 type 3), compared with 1,503 cases at this time last year (464 type 1 and 1,039 type 3).
- 20 countries have reported cases in 2010, compared with 23 at this time last year.
FACTS & FIGURES
- There have been 706 cases globally this year (635 type 1 and 71 type 3), compared with 1 126 cases at this time last year (387 type 1, 735 type 3, four type 1/3 mixtures).
Pakistan - polio infrastructure supports flood relief effort: Polio eradication staff and resources are being used to help in the response to the devastating floods affecting Pakistan. Polio epidemiologists and surveillance officers in the worst-affected areas of North West Frontier Province (NWPF, now known as Khyber Pakhtunkhwa) and Punjab are equipped with vehicles, radio equipment, satellite phones, vital medicines and potable water tanks.
- Executive Summary
FOR the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI), 2009 was a pilot year: an irony for a 20-year effort, but one that breathed innovation and fresh thinking into the initiative. At the beginning of the year, poliovirus survived in parts of four countries and was causing a large-scale international outbreak for the second time in five years. Poliovirus had - for the first time - re-established transmission in several countries.
* Tajikistan has launched its response to a large wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) outbreak, with a national immunization activity being launched on 1 May in Dushanbe, the capital. As of this week, 32 WPV1 cases have been confirmed. For full details, see 'Tajikistan' section.
* At the T20 cricket world cup in St Lucia, the Indian and Afghanistan cricket teams came together at a media event to urge parents to immunize their children.
Polio outbreak in Tajikistan: Wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) has been detected in Tajikistan, representing the first importation of poliovirus in the WHO European Region since it was certified polio-free in 2002. The virus is most closely related to viruses originating in Uttar Pradesh, India. 199 cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) have been reported, the majority of these having had onset of paralysis in April. To date, WPV1 had been isolated in 32 of these cases.
THE YEAR 2008 witnessed a polio outbreak in Nigeria, with new international spread to bordering countries, persistent importations in south-central Africa and Sudan and the largest outbreak of polio in eight years in Pakistan. Elsewhere, western Uttar Pradesh in India - historically the world's most entrenched reservoir of polio but free of indigenous poliovirus type 1 for more than a year - was re-infected by a virus from a neighbouring state. By the end of the year, the number of children paralysed by polio in 2008 had returned to 1999 levels.
Données au 26 août 2008. F our les informations détaillées et les derniers chiffres concernant les cas de poliomyélite par pays mis à jour chaque semaine : www.polioeradication.org
- La flambée au Nigéria entraîne une augmentation du budget pour l éradication mondiale : L Initiative mondiale pour l éradication de la poliomyélite a publié des chiffres révisés pour le budget 2008-2009.
All data as of 26 August. For latest news and polio case data by country, updated every week: www.polioeradication.org
- Nigeria outbreak increases global eradication budget: The Global Polio Eradication Initiative has published, revised increased budget figures for 2008-2009.