Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- UNICEF: Angola's drought takes heavy toll on children's education. 2 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- Govt. Angola: Cunene records rainfall after 12-month drought. 14 Oct 2019
- Amnesty: The end of cattle's paradise: How land diversion for ranches eroded food security in the Gambos, Angola. 15 Oct 2019
- UNICEF: Where drinking water is a 90-minute walk away. 2 Oct 2019
- WHO: Angola conducts review and validation of data on Neglected Tropical Diseases. 9 Oct 2019
- Govt. Angola: Drought affects over 200,000 in Huila. 9 Oct 2019
In response to the outbreak of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV) in South Sudan, over 19,000 children were vaccinated last week in Bentiu Poc, where the two cases were reported. Outbreak response plans are in place to hold three rounds of supplementary immunization activities (SIAs) in high risk areas to stop transmission of the virus.
FACTS & FIGURES
- There have been 706 cases globally this year (635 type 1 and 71 type 3), compared with 1 126 cases at this time last year (387 type 1, 735 type 3, four type 1/3 mixtures).
On 18 June, a broad range of stakeholders formally launched the new Strategic Plan 2010-2012 for eradicating wild poliovirus, a goal which is already 99% achieved but is seeing a renewed push to reach the final one per cent.
The Ministers of Health of Nigeria, Angola and Senegal, among a number of other senior health ministry officials, existing and potential funders, vaccine manufacturers and key partner organizations spoke at the event - co-hosted by WHO Director-General Margaret Chan and the new UNICEF Executive Director Tony Lake - to discuss the implementation, monitoring, …
New strategy builds on 99% drop in Nigeria cases but faces 50% funding shortfall
GENEVA, Thursday 17 June - In Geneva this Friday, a broad range of stakeholders will formally launch the new Strategic Plan 2010-2012 for eradicating wild poliovirus.
Polio eradication sits at a critical juncture. Across Africa, 10 of the 15 previously polio-free countries re-infected in 2009 have successfully stopped their outbreaks. Key endemic countries are witnessing historic gains against the disease.
Polio outbreak in Tajikistan: Wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) has been detected in Tajikistan, representing the first importation of poliovirus in the WHO European Region since it was certified polio-free in 2002. The virus is most closely related to viruses originating in Uttar Pradesh, India. 199 cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) have been reported, the majority of these having had onset of paralysis in April. To date, WPV1 had been isolated in 32 of these cases.