Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
Most read reports
- World Vision: The number of people affected by hunger in southern Africa ‘will stretch around the world’. 10 Nov 2019
- FAO: As climate shocks intensify, UN food agencies urge more support for southern Africa’s hungry people. 31 Oct 2019
- UN RC Angola: United Nations supports voluntary repatriation of refugees to DR Congo. 14 Nov 2019
- AfDB: Angola: African Development Bank approves $1 million grant to children’s food and nutrition security programs. 19 Oct 2019
- UNHCR: Angola Repatriation Update #4. 8 Nov 2019
Eritrea-Critical nutrition situation
The lingering effects of the war with Ethiopia and the 2002 drought have had a significant impact on households' food security and nutritional status in a country where the general situation was already poor. The future of the food security situation is bleak, partly because of the recent failure of rains.
The National Nutrition Surveillance System, a collaborative inter-agency group set up by the Ministry of Health conducted a second round of nutrition surveys in Northern Red Sea, Gash Barka, Debub and Anseba in mid-2004.
Kenya - Drought emergency declared in 26 districts -The president of Kenya declared the current drought a "national disaster" and appealed for relief food assistance. Early cessation of rains in May has led to the wilting of crops and insufficient replenishment of pastures. Twenty-six of the 71 districts of Kenya are affected and 1.8 million people are considered in need of food aid.
Ethiopia - Dire situation of IDPs in Somali region -The nutrition and food security situation has improved in most parts of Ethiopia compared to 2002 and 2003. This may be attributed to better weather conditions and to the humanitarian aid which have probably mitigated the situation. Whilst in some areas, the nutrition situation seems under-control, it is still average to precarious in most parts of Ethiopia. The Somali region is especially at risk, due to poor rainfall and the presence of IDPs.