Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
Most read reports
- World Vision: The number of people affected by hunger in southern Africa ‘will stretch around the world’. 10 Nov 2019
- FAO: As climate shocks intensify, UN food agencies urge more support for southern Africa’s hungry people. 31 Oct 2019
- UN RC Angola: United Nations supports voluntary repatriation of refugees to DR Congo. 14 Nov 2019
- AfDB: Angola: African Development Bank approves $1 million grant to children’s food and nutrition security programs. 19 Oct 2019
- Govt. Angola: Drought combat intensifies Friday in Cunene. 15 Nov 2019
The SADC region is experiencing a devastating drought episode associated with the 2015/2016 El Niño event which is negatively affecting livelihoods and the quality of lives across the region.
Four Member States have already declared national drought emergencies (Lesotho, Malawi, Swaziland and Zimbabwe). South Africa has declared a drought emergency in 7 of the country’s 9 provinces. Mozambique declared a 90-day institutional red alert for some southern and central areas.
Lesotho has launched a Flash Appeal to respond to the dire food security situation.
The appeal is only 22% funded to date, with a current shortfall of around $30 million
Swaziland was hit by severe storms in September that affected hundreds of people
The SADC Preparedness Workshop enables Governments and partners to identify priority areas in the run-up to the rainfall season and address gaps.