Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- World Vision: Number of people affected by hunger in southern Africa ‘will stretch around the world’. 10 Nov 2019
Most read reports
- WHO: WHO supports Angola’s Government efforts to end polio outbreak. 2 Dec 2019
- Govt. Angola: Cunene Province gets heavy rain. 4 Dec 2019
- UNICEF: Humanitarian Action for Children 2020 - Angola. 4 Dec 2019
- FAO: As climate shocks intensify, UN food agencies urge more support for southern Africa’s hungry people. 31 Oct 2019
- Govt. Angola: US makes $10 million available for HIV/AIDS. 2 Dec 2019
- Executive Summary
FOR the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI), 2009 was a pilot year: an irony for a 20-year effort, but one that breathed innovation and fresh thinking into the initiative. At the beginning of the year, poliovirus survived in parts of four countries and was causing a large-scale international outbreak for the second time in five years. Poliovirus had - for the first time - re-established transmission in several countries.
* Tajikistan has launched its response to a large wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) outbreak, with a national immunization activity being launched on 1 May in Dushanbe, the capital. As of this week, 32 WPV1 cases have been confirmed. For full details, see 'Tajikistan' section.
* At the T20 cricket world cup in St Lucia, the Indian and Afghanistan cricket teams came together at a media event to urge parents to immunize their children.