Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
Most read reports
- Govt. Angola: Over 40 cases of polio recorded in Angola. 18 Nov 2019
- World Vision: The number of people affected by hunger in southern Africa ‘will stretch around the world’. 10 Nov 2019
- FAO: As climate shocks intensify, UN food agencies urge more support for southern Africa’s hungry people. 31 Oct 2019
- Govt. Angola: Angola: Biometric Registration Update As of 18 November, 2019. 18 Nov 2019
- UN RC Angola: United Nations supports voluntary repatriation of refugees to DR Congo. 14 Nov 2019
FACTS & FIGURES
- There have been 706 cases globally this year (635 type 1 and 71 type 3), compared with 1 126 cases at this time last year (387 type 1, 735 type 3, four type 1/3 mixtures).
- Executive Summary
FOR the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI), 2009 was a pilot year: an irony for a 20-year effort, but one that breathed innovation and fresh thinking into the initiative. At the beginning of the year, poliovirus survived in parts of four countries and was causing a large-scale international outbreak for the second time in five years. Poliovirus had - for the first time - re-established transmission in several countries.
- More than 350,000 women die each year
because of pregnancy and childbirth complications.
- Plan will help countries reduce high fertility rates and deaths.
- With approaching Millennium Development Goals deadline, plan charts Bank's course for next five years.
May 12, 2010With many countries far from achieving Millennium Development Goal 5 (MDG 5) and less than five years remaining to scale up efforts, yesterday, the World Bank released its a 2010-2015 blueprint for its reproductive health work, which will help poor countries reduce their high fertility rates and prevent …
* Tajikistan has launched its response to a large wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) outbreak, with a national immunization activity being launched on 1 May in Dushanbe, the capital. As of this week, 32 WPV1 cases have been confirmed. For full details, see 'Tajikistan' section.
* At the T20 cricket world cup in St Lucia, the Indian and Afghanistan cricket teams came together at a media event to urge parents to immunize their children.
Polio outbreak in Tajikistan: Wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) has been detected in Tajikistan, representing the first importation of poliovirus in the WHO European Region since it was certified polio-free in 2002. The virus is most closely related to viruses originating in Uttar Pradesh, India. 199 cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) have been reported, the majority of these having had onset of paralysis in April. To date, WPV1 had been isolated in 32 of these cases.