Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- Theirworld: Education can help to bring peace in Afghanistan - but not while schools are under attack. 21 Aug 2019
- NRC: Displaced Afghans resort to desperate measures as support dwindles. 14 Aug 2019
- UNAMA: Civilian casualties in Afghanistan spike in July. 3 Aug 2019
- UNAMA: UN urges parties to heed call from Afghans: Zero civilian casualties. 30 Jul 2019
Most read reports
- Save the Children: At least 25 children hospitalised after Ghazni car bomb attack. 10 Jul 2019
- UNAMA: UN reminds parties of their responsibility to protect civilians - Civilian casualty rates spike in July. 3 Aug 2019
- UNAMA: Midyear report on the Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict: (1 January to 30 June 2019) [EN/Dari/PS]. 30 Jul 2019
- Theirworld: Education can help to bring peace in Afghanistan - but not while schools are still under attack. 21 Aug 2019
- UNAMA: Women’s rights spotlighted at UN-backed event in Afghanistan’s northeast. 22 Aug 2019
Arrivals in the Mediterranean from 01 January until 30 June 2017 total 102,847 (Greece, Italy, Spain and Cyprus, including arrivals to the Canary Islands and by land to Spain). This compares to 231,075 for the same period in 2016. In the first half of the year, 9,286 persons arrived in Greece by sea (158,377 arrived during same period in 2016, a decrease by 94%).
Background and context
Refugee emergency in Europe: UNHCR appeals for USD 128 million
GENEVA, June 28 (UNHCR) – The UN refugee agency's annual consultations with its non-governmental partners opened in Geneva on Tuesday with a look ahead at the growing challenges faced by relief agencies amid persisting and multiplying crises.
The number of people who have been displaced within their own countries as a result of armed conflict now stands at approximately 26 million. UNHCR, with its long record of protecting and assisting the displaced, is well positioned to support national and international responses towards internally displaced persons (IDPs). As of 2008, the Office was active in some 28 IDP operations involving approximately 14 million people.
This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Andrej Mahecic - to whom quoted text may be attributed - at the press briefing, on 4 December 2007, at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
In Geneva next Tuesday (11 December), at its annual Pledging Conference, UNHCR will present to donor countries its 2008 annual budget of US$1.096 billion, up from $1.06 billion in 2007, to help millions of refugees, displaced and stateless persons around the world.
The Global Appeal 2007
UNHCR's Global Appeal is published yearly to alert governmental and private sector donors, Executive Committee (ExCom) members and Standing Committee observers, Governments and their Permanent Missions in Geneva, the UN Secretariat, UN agencies, intergovernmental agencies, NGOs, regional organizations and other institutions and interested individuals to the plight of millions of refugees and others of concern to UNHCR.