Appeals & Response Plans
Headlines (last 30 days)
- DFID: More than five million Afghans will receive emergency life-saving UK aid. 17 Jun 2019
- UNICEF: Afghanistan sees three-fold increase in attacks on schools in one year – UNICEF. 28 May 2019
- UN News: About 600,000 Afghan children face death from malnutrition without emergency funds. 24 May 2019
Most read reports
- UN SC: Upcoming Presidential Election in Afghanistan ‘Key Moment’ to Reaffirm Legitimacy of Democratic Political Structure, Special Representative Tells Security Council. 19 Jun 2019
- UN GA: The situation in Afghanistan and its implications for international peace and security - Report of the Secretary General (A/73/902–S/2019/493). 18 Jun 2019
- DFID: Over five million Afghans to receive emergency life-saving UK aid. 17 Jun 2019
- OCHA: Afghanistan: Snapshot of Population Movements (Jan to May 2019)(As of 17 June 2019). 18 Jun 2019
- USAID: Catalyzing Afghan Agricultural Innovation, May 2018 - May 2023. 17 Jun 2019
WASHINGTON, May 6 (OneWorld.net) - Sadiqa Basiri Saleem's efforts to educate girls in her native Afghanistan -- originally informal classes for 36 girls in an abandoned mosque -- have grown to a network of six schools with 2,870 pupils.
"After the fall of the Taliban in 2002, Sadiqa Basiri Saleem returned home from a refugee camp in Pakistan to find 150,000 girls in her eastern Afghanistan province lacking the resources, security, and support to go to school," writes Vital Voices, a women's organization that awarded Basiri Saleem for her work earlier this …
UNITED NATIONS, Aug 5 (OneWorld) - Aid groups are demanding increased protections for civilians in Afghanistan as fighting continues to escalate in the Central Asian country that is regaining its status as a focal point of the U.S.-led "war on terror."
In raising its concerns about the growing number of deaths of civilians, the Agency Coordinating Body for Afghan Relief (ACBAR) says both the U.S.-led allied forces and militant groups are violating international laws of conflict.
"Searches conducted by Afghan and international forces have on some occasions involved …
Aid to Afghanistan is in crisis.
The Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General in Afghanistan, Tom Koenigs, and the head of World Food Programme (WFP) mission have warned of humanitarian crises in some parts of the country if food is not delivered before winter.
"Food shortages and the winter could produce a human catastrophe" in food-insecure parts of Afghanistan, if food is not delivered promptly, Koenigs said in the capital, Kabul, on 29 October 2007.
"We want and need a humanitarian space to reach communities," Koenigs said.
Haider Rizvi - OneWorld US
COPENHAGEN, Aug 8 (OneWorld) - Throughout the past century, Scandinavian countries have been internationally respected for keeping their doors open to those fleeing wars and bloody conflicts at home. But recent policy decisions on immigration and asylum indicate that change may be in the offing.
Despite clear guidelines from the United Nations to the contrary, in Sweden and neighboring Denmark preparations are underway to deport Iraqi and Afghan asylum seekers.