Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- DFID: More than five million Afghans will receive emergency life-saving UK aid. 17 Jun 2019
- UNICEF: Afghanistan sees three-fold increase in attacks on schools in one year – UNICEF. 28 May 2019
- UN News: About 600,000 Afghan children face death from malnutrition without emergency funds. 24 May 2019
- IOM: A third of Afghans have migrated or been displaced since 2012: IOM. 21 May 2019
Most read reports
- DFID: Over five million Afghans to receive emergency life-saving UK aid. 17 Jun 2019
- USAID: Catalyzing Afghan Agricultural Innovation, May 2018 - May 2023. 17 Jun 2019
- USAID: Grain Research and Innovation (GRAIN), March 2017 - September 2022. 17 Jun 2019
- USAID: Afghanistan Value Chains – Livestock, June 2018 - June 2023. 17 Jun 2019
- IOM: IOM - Humanitarian Assistance Programme (HAP) Weekly Report (29 May - 11 June 2019). 17 Jun 2019
FACTIONALIZATION AND GROUP GRIEVANCE FUEL RISE IN INSTABILITY
J. J. MESSNER
The Fragile States Index, produced by The Fund for Peace, is a critical tool in highlighting not only the normal pressures that all states experience, but also in identifying when those pressures are pushing a state towards the brink of failure. By highlighting pertinent issues in weak and failing states, The Fragile States Index—and the social science framework and software application upon which it is built—makes political risk assessment and early warning of conflict accessible to policy-makers and the public at large.
Somalia Displaced as Most-Fragile State
Published June 24, 2014 By J. J. Messner
As much as the 2014 Fragile States Index is significant for being the tenth anniversary of the Index (and for being the first to be named “Fragile States Index” rather than “Failed States Index”), it is especially notable for the change at the top: after six years in the number one position, Somalia has finally been overtaken, leaving South Sudan as the most fragile state in the world.
Contact: J.J. Messner Office: +1 202 223 7940 x 211 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2012 Failed States Index Released: Somalia ranked most troubled state for 5th straight year; Finland remains at best position; Libya, Japan and Syria Tumble
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Fund for Peace today released the eighth edition of its annual Failed States Index (FSI), highlighting global political, economic and social pressures experienced by states.