- Afghanistan Weekly Field Report | 12 - 19 November 2017
- IOM Return of Undocumented Afghans - Weekly Situation Report (12 - 18 November 2017)
- OCHA: Afghanistan Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 69 | 1 – 31 October 2017
Appeals & Funding
- 2017 Humanitarian Needs Overview
- 2017 Humanitarian Response Plan
- 2017 Humanitarian Response Plan Mid-Year Review of Financing, Achievements and Response Challenges (Jan - Jun 2017)
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
- Country-based Pooled Fund
- Afghanistan: Avalanches and Floods - Jan 2017
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Afghanistan: Avalanches, Floods and Landslides - Feb 2015
- Afghanistan: Flash Floods and Landslides - Apr 2014
- Afghanistan: Flash Floods - Aug 2013
- Afghanistan: Earthquake - Apr 2013
- Afghanistan: Floods and Landslides - Feb 2013
- Afghanistan: Flash Floods - Jul 2012
- Afghanistan: Earthquakes - Jun 2012
- Afghanistan: Measles Outbreak - Feb 2012
Most read (last 30 days)
- Afghanistan Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 69 | 1 – 31 October 2017
- 9,500 children dying from diarrhoea each year in Afghanistan – UNICEF
- Afghan healthcare under siege as escalating conflict cuts off access
- The EU steps up humanitarian assistance in Afghanistan
- Protecting Children from Polio at the Afghanistan-Pakistan Border
“Have we become unable to broker peace?” Grandi asks Security Council during key address on record levels of displacement.
By Melissa Fleming
NEW YORK – Filippo Grandi, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, has urged international leaders to find political solutions to the world’s conflicts if the swelling numbers of forcibly displaced people are ever to return home.
HIGHLIGHTS - IPC Acute Food Insecurity Situation for August- Nov 2017
• IPC current post harvest analysis show slightly better food security situation then pre-harvest. Out of 34 provinces 21 were classified in phase 3, one of the province Badghis is classified in phase 4.
• Out of 21 provinces classified in phase 3, provinces with higher number of proportions in phase 4 were: Badghis (25%), Bamyan (14%), Daikundi (10%), Ghor (12%), Saripul( 10%) and Khost (10%).
Between 1 January and 30 September 2017, 105,418 persons arrived in Italy by sea. This is a 20% decrease compared to sea arrivals in the same period last year (132,043). Disembarkations slowed as of mid-July 2017. Arrival numbers have consequently been significantly lower in July, August, and September this year, compared to 2016.
THE WORLD’S BIGGEST INFECTIOUS KILLER
Writing in 1901, William Osler, one of the founders of modern medicine, described pneumonia as “the captain of the men of death”. He was writing about the USA, where the disease was a major killer of children – and a source of fear for their parents. Pneumonia remains a “captain of the men of death”. No infectious disease claims the lives of more children. Today, almost all of the victims are in low- and middle-income countries. The vast majority are poor.
On 16 October 2017, SUN Coordinator, Gerda Verburg, visited Kabul to welcome Afghanistan to the SUN Movement, the 60th country member.
Current major event
Cholera in Yemen: Key questions
The cholera outbreak in Yemen continues to rage and from April to 28 October 2017, a total of 880,987 suspected cholera cases including 2,183 associated deaths with a case fatality rate of 0.25% were reported from Yemen. The cases were reported from almost all governorates (96% of the governorates were affected) and almost all districts (92% of the districts were affected).
Trump Administration Should Publish Policy, Strengthen Protections
(Washington, DC) – US President Donald Trump’s reported rule changes for targeting terrorism suspects increase the risk of drone strikes killing civilians, Human Rights Watch said today. The Trump administration should immediately publish its new policy on targeted killings outside conventional battlefields and strengthen protection for civilians.
Project code: OSRO/AFG/007/JPN
Contribution: USD 11 million
Implementation: 01/01/11 – 30/06/17
Target areas: Afghanistan
To protect the livelihoods of vulnerable livestock holders in flood-affected and conflict areas through the provision of animal feed and veterinary supplies, as well as improve production capacity by supporting four small-scale feed processing dairy union facilities in Afghanistan.
Directorate of RR of Frah province with cooperation of WFP and SWRC in attended of Governor and provincial council members of this province they have surveyed 3000 three thousand displaced families in deferent field.
The mentioned family’s survey that displaced from insecure places of Bala bolok, Shamal gah, Pusht road, Khak Safid, Pusht koh, to secure places of this province did on Tuesday October 31, 2017.
It is mentionable after this survey will be distributed the humanitarian assistance for these families.
CONSEIL DE SÉCURITÉ
8082E SÉANCE – MATIN
Wheat is the staple food for most Afghans, comprising more than 70 percent of their diet. Low-quality rice is a poor, but sometimes necessary, substitute. All markets represent significant population centers and consumer markets. Kabul, the capital, supplies the central provinces and is a transit point between the north, south, east, and west. Jalalabad supplies the eastern part of the country and acts as a cross border market with Pakistan. Mazar-e-Sarif supplies northern provinces and, in a good year, the southern provinces as well.
8082ND MEETING (AM)
The Security Council today reiterated its strong condemnation of the recruitment and use of children by parties to armed conflict, as well as their killing and maiming, rape and other forms of sexual violence.
By Baher Kamal
ROME, Oct 30 2017 (IPS) - Facts are facts, and one of them is that while everybody talks about the growing forced movement of people –be they migrants or refugees—decision-makers haven’t seriously acted on the root causes of why millions of humans are compelled to leave their homes.
923 undocumented Afghans returned from Pakistan
18,033 undocumented Afghans returned from Iran
92,300 total returns from Pakistan since 01 Jan 2017
349,610 total returns from Iran since 01 Jan 2017
88% of returnees from Pakistan (814 individuals) assisted
4% of returnees from Iran (749 individuals) assisted
Following are UN Secretary-General António Guterres’ remarks at the Security Council open debate on children and armed conflict, in New York today:
Je souhaiterais tout d’abord remercier le Ministre des affaires étrangères de la France, Son Excellence Jean-Yves Le Drian, pour l’organisation de ce débat d’une importance vitale autour de la question des enfants et les conflits armés.
This Quarterly Update covers the activities of the Geneva-based Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) between 1 July and 30 September 2017. It is also available online here: www. internal-displacement.org.
More than nine million new displacements in the first half of 2017
Our mid-year figures, published in August, show that conflict, violence and disasters caused 9.1 million new internal displacements globally in the first half of 2017.
A suicide attack claimed by the Islamic State (IS ) group in the diplomatic district of Afghanistan's capital, Kabul, has caused multiple casualties.
The Afghan Health Ministry said at least three people killed and 15 were wounded in the October 31 blast in the Wazir Akbar Khan district, known as the "Green Zone," where many embassies and the head offices of major international organizations are located.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the explosion.