Appeals & Response Plans
Headlines (last 30 days)
- DFID: More than five million Afghans will receive emergency life-saving UK aid. 17 Jun 2019
- UNICEF: Afghanistan sees three-fold increase in attacks on schools in one year – UNICEF. 28 May 2019
- UN News: About 600,000 Afghan children face death from malnutrition without emergency funds. 24 May 2019
- IOM: A third of Afghans have migrated or been displaced since 2012: IOM. 21 May 2019
Most read reports
- OCHA: Afghanistan: Snapshot of Population Movements (Jan to May 2019)(As of 17 June 2019). 18 Jun 2019
- DFID: Over five million Afghans to receive emergency life-saving UK aid. 17 Jun 2019
- UN GA: The situation in Afghanistan and its implications for international peace and security - Report of the Secretary General (A/73/902–S/2019/493). 18 Jun 2019
- USAID: Catalyzing Afghan Agricultural Innovation, May 2018 - May 2023. 17 Jun 2019
- USAID: Grain Research and Innovation (GRAIN), March 2017 - September 2022. 17 Jun 2019
Some $290 million would be needed next year to fund 300 mine action projects in 36 countries, Jean-Marie Guéhenno, Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations, said at a Headquarters press briefing today.
New report says 754 square kilometres of minefields and former battle areas already cleared
Area currently known to be contaminated by landmines and UXO: 840 square kilometres
UN Mine Action Centre for Afghanistan (MACA)
On 12 May, Afghanistan destroyed the first pile of more than 500 land mines to demonstrate its commitment to the global mine ban treaty, a Defence Ministry statement said. The mines, mostly anti-personnel, were blown up in the outskirts of Kabul, following the March 2003 signing of the treaty by Mr. Karzai's Government. Afghanistan's Defence Ministry said it was ready to speed-up the mine destruction process, if the UN and donor countries provided assistance.
NEW YORK, 8 May 2003 -- In response to attacks on staff and vehicles on 3 and 5 May, the United Nations has suspended mine clearance operations on areas of the road between the Afghan capital Kabul, and the southern city of Kandahar, one of the country's more important routes for commerce and the delivery of humanitarian aid.