Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- DFID: More than five million Afghans will receive emergency life-saving UK aid. 17 Jun 2019
- UNICEF: Afghanistan sees three-fold increase in attacks on schools in one year – UNICEF. 28 May 2019
Most read reports
- UN GA: The situation in Afghanistan and its implications for international peace and security - Report of the Secretary-General (A/73/902–S/2019/493). 25 Jun 2019
- IOM: Returns to Afghanistan in 2018: Joint IOM-UNHCR Summary Report [EN/Dari/Pashto]. 25 Jun 2019
- IOM: Return of Undocumented Afghans - Weekly Situation Report (16-22 June 2019). 25 Jun 2019
- DFID: Helpdesk Report: K4D - Agriculture in Afghanistan – economic sustainability and subsector viability. 24 Jun 2019
- OCHA: Afghanistan: Integrated Drought Response, May 2019. 24 Jun 2019
Constitutional Loya Jirga
U.S. AGENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
BUREAU FOR DEMOCRACY, CONFLICT, AND HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE (DCHA)
TEHRAN, Iran (UNHCR) - Seven-year-old Nazifeh likes her new home at the foot of the Alborz Mountains in northern Tehran. She has her own bedroom with a TV, the playroom is just down the corridor and there are plenty of toys and other children to play with.
Kabul, Afghanistan - Dec. 17, 2003 - Millions of Afghan refugees and internally displaced Afghans have returned home since the fall of the Taliban, hopeful that their country has finally escaped a quarter century of war. The U.N. refugee agency (UNHCR) expects another 900,000 or more to repatriate in 2004 as economic and security conditions continue to improve.
GENEVA -- The UN refugee agency said on Friday that it was seeking over $1 billion to fund its refugee assistance and protection work next year to care for more than 20.5 million refugees and other people worldwide. This includes $955 million for its annual budget and over $57 million for supplementary programs for the Liberian crisis and Sudanese refugees.
LORALAI, Pakistan (UNHCR) - Almost unnoticed amid the efforts to repatriate Afghan refugees and care for the last wave to arrive in Pakistan, the UN refugee agency continues to watch over nearly a million other Afghan refugees who have been here for up to 24 years.
Voter Registration Starts This Week
The registration of voters in Afghanistan will start the first week of December in eight cities: Kabul, Bamyan, Jalalabad, Kunduz, Mazar-e-Sharif, Herat, Kandahar and Gardez. As you know, this registration of voters is for the elections that are scheduled to happen next year.
(Prepared by the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, based on inputs received from the UN Country Team)
Background and Rationale
Briefer: Kris Janowski - Media Relations
Extract from War Child Newsletter - Sept-Oct 2003
KABUL, Afghanistan, Oct 27 (UNHCR) - Afghan President Hamid Karzai has reassured a group of internally displaced Afghans from the north by calling for tough measures to stop the violence that has prevented them from going home.
Briefer: Peter Kessler - Media Relations
Sources: WFP, USAID/FFP, AIMS, UNJLC, NOAA/NCDC
Map Created by: US State Department Humanitarian Information Unit
(Extracted from JRS Dispatches No. 140)
This is a summary of what was said by the UNHCR spokesperson at today's Palais des Nations press briefing in Geneva. Further information can be found on the UNHCR website, www.unhcr.ch, which should also be checked for regular media updates on non-briefing days.