Appeals & Response Plans
Maps & Infographics
Headlines (last 30 days)
- Save the Children: At least 25 children hospitalised after Ghazni car bomb attack in Afghanistan. 10 Jul 2019
- UNICEF: Two million Afghan children cannot reach their full potential due to undernutrition. 2 Jul 2019
- UNICEF: Scores of children among casualties in Kabul attack - UNICEF. 1 Jul 2019
Most read reports
- Save the Children: At least 25 children hospitalised after Ghazni car bomb attack. 10 Jul 2019
- USAID: USAID Launches National Agricultural Education Conference [EN/Dari]. 17 Jul 2019
- USAID: Health Sector Resiliency (HSR) (Sep 2015 – Sep 2020). 19 Jul 2019
- USAID: Disease Surveillance and Prevention (DEWS) (July 2014 – June 2022). 19 Jul 2019
- WHO: WHO Afghanistan Situation Report - June 2019. 18 Jul 2019
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
We stand at a critical crossroads. At this moment in time we must galvanize all nations, all people, all resources to defeat hunger. Or we can watch helplessly as the first - and most foundational - Millennium Development Goal of halving the percent of poverty and hunger continues to slip out of our grasp.
This is the emergency issue of our generation. Since the food crisis started, the numbers of hungry have increased by almost 200 million people to more than one billion. One in every six people on earth wake up each morning not knowing whether they will have enough to eat.
This bulletin provides information on price changes for the most commonly consumed staples and the potential impacts of these changes on the cost of the food basket. Staples contribute 40 - 80% of energy intake for the most vulnerable population groups in developing countries. Therefore, even a small increase in staple food prices has a high impact on overall food consumption, especially when the food basket is composed of very few staples.
The bulletin covers 60 countries over the period July to September 2009 .
This bulletin provides information on price changes of the most commonly consumed staples and potential impacts on the cost of a food basket. Staples contribute 40 - 80% of energy intake for most vulnerable population groups in developing countries.
WFP is deeply concerned that the scourge of hunger and malnutrition is on the increase across the developing world, with now over a billion hungry people on the planet. The global economic downturn is exacerbating the impact of the food crisis and increasing food insecurity for the world's most vulnerable people, reversing progress toward the Millennium Development Goals.