OCHA Afghanistan Digital Situation Report (external link) EN
Appeals & Response Plans
Headlines (last 30 days)
- UNAMA: ‘Whole spectrum of Afghan society’ must get behind peace talks, UN envoy tells Security Council. 10 Sep 2019
- UNICEF: Too young to serve - A 16-year-old Afghan police recruit tells of his terror. 6 Sep 2019
- OCHA: UN Emergency Fund provides $75 million to eight underfunded crises. 5 Sep 2019
- Theirworld: Education can help to bring peace in Afghanistan - but not while schools are under attack. 21 Aug 2019
Most read reports
- UNAMA: Briefing to the United Nations Security Council by the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Afghanistan, Mr. Tadamichi Yamamoto, New York, 10 September 2019. 10 Sep 2019
- FAO: Afghanistan: Situation report, September 2019. 16 Sep 2019
- Save the Children: At least 25 children hospitalised after Ghazni car bomb attack. 10 Jul 2019
- ACLED: ACLED Regional Overview – Asia (17 September 2019). 17 Sep 2019
- USAID: Assistance to Legislative Bodies of Afghanistan (ALBA) (April 2013 – March 2018). 16 Sep 2019
From the editors
Fragile states are risky environments. Many states fail in their responsibilities to their citizens but those states which are fragile, failed or weak are particularly liable to render their citizens vulnerable. Failures of authority or legitimacy can lead to the emergence of significant organised violence; the impact of this can then be compounded by the failure of the state to protect its citizens, especially minorities.
1. A significant increase in the numbers of persons of concern to UNHCR brought new challenges in 2006. While there was a 14 per cent increase in refugee numbers from the previous year, the Office's involvement, together with other humanitarian partners, in protecting and assisting internally displaced persons (IDPs) under the inter-agency cluster approach, resulted in a doubling of IDP figures. Thanks to better data capturing, many more stateless people have been identified, also swelling numbers.