OCHA Afghanistan Digital Situation Report (external link) EN
Appeals & Response Plans
Headlines (last 30 days)
- IPC: More than 10 million people severely food-insecure in Afghanistan. 15 Nov 2019
- UNAMA: Civilian casualties in Afghanistan spike to record-high levels. 19 Oct 2019
Most read reports
- AOAV: The reverberating effects of explosive violence on agriculture in Afghanistan. 14 Nov 2019
- ACLED: ACLED Regional Overview: Central Asia and the Caucasus (3 - 9 November 2019). 14 Nov 2019
- UNHCR: UNHCR Afghanistan: Voluntary Repatriation - Response Snapshot (1 January - 31 October 2019). 14 Nov 2019
- FAO: Afghanistan: Seasonal Food Security Assessment (SFSA) 2019 - Coverage Districts. 14 Nov 2019
- Save the Children: 18 years of conflict: Every single Afghan child affected by war. 7 Oct 2019
Global Overview JULY 2018
On Monday 16 October 2017 the Council adopted the EU Annual Report on Human Rights And Democracy in the World in 2016.
2016 was a challenging year for human rights and democracy, with a shrinking space for civil society and complex humanitarian and political crises emerging. In this context, the European Union showed leadership and remained strongly committed to promote and protect human rights and democracy across the world.
The month saw violent extremist movements, including the Islamic State (IS) and al-Qaeda-linked groups, carry out major deadly attacks in Turkey, Pakistan, Côte d’Ivoire, Tunisia and Belgium. In Libya, the arrival of Prime Minister Serraj in Tripoli despite warnings from multiple factions could lead to further destabilisation. Meanwhile in Central Africa, political violence rose in Burundi and could break out in Chad around the 10 April presidential election.
The month saw an intensification of Yemen’s war, amid heightened regional rivalries between Saudi Arabia and Iran complicating prospects for peace. Political tensions increased in Haiti, Guinea-Bissau and Moldova, where protests over endemic corruption and a lack of confidence in the government could escalate. In Africa, Boko Haram’s deadly attacks increased in northern Cameroon, and Burkina Faso was hit by an unprecedented terror attack.
December 2015 – Trends
- Deteriorated situations
Afghanistan, Burundi, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Niger
- Improved situations
January 2016 – Watchlist
- Conflict risk alerts
- Conflict resolution opportunities